Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The day to day stuff

It happened just like I knew it would, but being the eternal optimist and with the encouragement of others, I pressed on. In the last days of "Mysore Musings", I pictured myself months later as a bad spin-off of a popular prime time sitcom.
Here it is.

I've found blogging to be so difficult now. I think that part of it is not knowing exactly what to write. I mean, in Mysore, I knew that I was writing about the "Mysore experience", where really, it was all very innocent I could write honestly on my days. But now its the "New York experience", or perhaps the "post-graduate-idealist -hits-'real world' experience". Not sure. In either case, as an artist or whatever, it seems as mundane and dry as reporting on my daily lunch.

It is also challenging learning how to navigate what to share and what not to share. In my last blog, I didn't really think anyone was reading and so, was not very self conscience about what I put out there. Now, I can't really write about teaching as I want to be sensitive to my students' privacy. I don't want to write on my personal relationships for the same reason. So then what? My asana practice? Watching a construction worker do one handed push-ups on the sidewalk while I was boarding the bus to go teach at 9:30 this morning in 28 degree weather?

Maybe it is time, or the seemingly lack thereof. I'd really prefer to sit and think about what I'd like to write and have the time to go over it before I publish it. I want to feel like it makes sense and that it was worth putting out there.

But maybe not trying and just showing up is interesting. Maybe watching someone try to work it all out is enough.

Recently viewed: "Juno". I preferred "Knocked Up". I laughed more. Maybe it was less intellectual, but whatever.

"Fire". "Water" was my favorite of the three Metas.

Recently Read: The God of Small Things. Loved how the author captures the fear, horror, and confusion of childhood. Found it similar to 100 Years of Solitude, which is fabulous and just plain amazing.


Currently Reading: The Trap: Selling out to stay afloat in winner-take-all America.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Elise
    If we practitioners write about our practice and what our teachers said, even when they know we're blogging about them, can't you make up funny made up names for them and talk about the experience?
    Uhm, maybe, maybe not. You could test the waters. If you do it sensitively and while maintaining their identity private, it would be interesting for others to read this perspective. I think about your comments, such as observing the grubby shoes of people in the subway car, the grumpy attitudes.
    We experience similar things in SF.
    Cheers,
    Arturo

    ReplyDelete