Tuesday, January 8, 2008

You can't go home again

There is something to the teacher/student relationship.
Yesterday, I went back to my teacher at the Shala. What is it about practicing with you teacher that gives your practice that certain something? Since Mysore, I have been maintaining my practice, but it was nothing like yesterday. How did I know it was different? We can look at the physical evidence: my clothes were drenched. My sweat. The room's sweat. Whatever. Then there is the social evidence: I just felt like giving up my seat on the subway. Last, there is the psychological evidence: I was just plain happy...the entire day. Happy like I'm on the way to the beach on a summer day.
I think it was very hard and very strange coming back to New York and feeling so differently. Before I left for Mysore, I can remember that everyday after practice I felt like emptying my wallet out in a homeless man's cup on the L Train. I just felt so joyous and giving and just plain optimistic and happy. Post-Mysore New York has, as evidenced in my blog, been dreary, boring, and glum. Is it New York, or was it me? A bit of both I think. But I won't deny that my own tendency toward depression hasn't been a contributing factor. But that is why yoga is so important. If depression manifests itself in the body, then yoga is a surefire way to work it out and help turn it around. And I thought I was doing that, hence my confusion with my feelings of blah.
After yesterday, it has been proven to me (again) how important practice is, and how much a difference it makes to practice with a teacher. And maybe what I brought to the table yesterday wasn't different. But there is something special about knowing that your teacher is watching you, is helping you...It is being in the transfer of knowledge and of tradition. It is being nurtured and cared for. It is being believed in and pushed to your limits. It is facing your fears. It is committing to shoot for the stars.


RECENTLY VIEWED: Earth
This is the second film in Deepa Meta's series, Fire, Earth, Water. I saw the last film a short time ago and was absolutely blown away. The plot of this film didn't intrigue me, but I decided to give it a chance and it was really quite good!

RECENTLY READ: Light on Life I am always a little hesitant to read titles by Iyengar, especially after his comments on ashtanga practice on the Estes Park DVD series. That said, I read the first half of this book, and was surprised that A) it was readable, unlike Light on Yoga and B) it was somewhat objective about the experience of yoga practice. I didn't feel like there was anything new here, but if you don't feel like reading the sutras or other texts, you could just read this as it summarizes a lot of different materials and concepts in yoga practice.
REMINDER: Check out www.livingmysore.com , as we have published our first ashtanga-inspired online zine!

No comments:

Post a Comment