Thursday, October 10, 2013

Just an ordinary day

This is the one where I electrocute myself just a little and cut myself kind of a lot and it starts with early morning asana practice.   I had a couple of days off and the start times had been moved later one hour and now back to the original times.  So I arrived at about 4:15am which is 4:30am "Shala Time".  My teacher asked me if I would assist next month instead of this month so today I only did my own practice, had a coconut, and then headed back home to sleep for a couple of hours before breakfast.  We went to a little place called Anoki's which is owned by some French people and at 300rs is steep compared to my 60rs maximum usual at the stand up or stand up sit down place.   I had vegan crepes with spinach and hummus and vegan toast and a "massive" french press coffee which was too little too late but still quite welcome.

From there we went to Sudha's to pay my balance and drop off more items to ship.  Yesterday she told us about the Rangoli at her house and how it is a family tradition and they never plan it, it just flows.  "It is like a god" she says.  And they do puja for them and ones like this have the padma, the lotus, and so they are for Lakshmi or kind of are Lakshmi because everything is god.  Today no mention of how I've lost weight since last time, instead she told me that they like my kind of nose in India and that "it is called like the flower.  Champa."  I googled that.  I don't see it but okay.

It is an auspicious time to buy gold and so we ask her where we should go and where we should put it and head out on a mission to the center.  We buy new helmets that actually fit and stop at Shree Guru for a "Limited Thali, only" for lunch.  I couldn't remember exactly how to get where we were going but we got there and parked where we could.  We take about two steps on the sidewalk and I stub my toe.  It doesn't hurt but something tells me to look down and I see just blood everywhere and there is more of it with every step and I sort of hop around for a second and these guys in a gold and bangle store pull up a stool and tell me to sit and they come out with that cotton you find in jewelery boxes and people are gathering around to watch the cotton turn red and my face which might have been laughing or swearing I can't remember which.  One housemate runs to a pharmacy around the corner for supplies and the other stays with me.  The shop clerk goes and returns with bottled water and motions for me to hop to the curb because there is a whole lot of blood in front of the shop and then he pours bottled water onto my toe in the street.  An old man wearing a lunghi and button down shirt stops his scooter in the middle of traffic to watch and grin and wiggle his head at me a few times before carrying on.

My housemate comes back with peroxide and tape and I hop to the corner and there is a chai stand and a man brings over his chair for me.  I sit and yelp as they clean my toe surrounded by a crowd of Indians sipping chai and selling ginger and shopping.  We put a bit more jewelry cotton and tape it up and have lemon teas for caffeine and sugar and we ride our scooters back home and I'm shaking the whole time.  Don't worry, my housemates are taking good care of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment