Sunday, August 15, 2010

High Range Dosa Mix

A fluffy dosa.

When combining water and mix (rice powder and lentils), the smell of dry dal in the back of the cupboard from 2008. A bit like the fresh, cool part of the smell of potting soil. 10 (?) hours later, smelling tongue-sucking sour and I'm ready to pour. The iron skillet seems to produce the fluffiest, tastiest dosa. I flick water at the "seasoned" pan and when it jumps and pops, I ladle a palm-sized amount of the sour stuff onto the center. Little Swiss cheese pancake holes appear across the surface and my heart quickens...

I wait. My feet tap, head sways, hands roll on hips.

I wait until the edges have me absolutely convinced that the underside is burning. I grip the spatula and shuffle it under the crispy edge, careful to keep pressing down toward the pan and I peek. Not burned at all. Barely golden brown. I smile smugly and flip.

-New York, Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment