Tuesday, August 25, 2009

NY: Stinky Armpit or Steamy Tropical? (Under pressure)


The good, bad, and ugly post.

Right now, New York is a bit like both. It is a little too hot to feel comfortable walking more than a block but instead of having the permission to just bask in the steamy goodness, one feels compelled to pummel through. I find myself constantly echoing "so good" "yay summer" and "shorts!" It is the only way to find balance between the two worlds.

But really, right now I am a bag of excuses that should probably be stuffed into a sack with "sorrys". If I can't go to the early practice shift, I don't want to go at all because it is just so darn hot and sweaty. I admit it. I like the AC. At my house it gets the room to a bearable 80 (on a good day) with a lot less humidity. I've got a mild case of asthma, so I feel like I really feel that mush humidity/heat. I get annoyed with all the people heaving themselves around me. All that sweat (mine and theirs) gets thrown all over the place and when it is time for Mukta Hasta Sirsasana C I get agitated because my hands just slip all over like I'm giving the floor a massage. I just want to do my practice! I get mad a Guy for trying to get me to reach my full potential. I'm just happy I'm on my mat! I worry about my sternoclavicular joint, so I'm trying to be hyper-precise in my vinyasas. I feel like I don't have enough time in the day. I'm mad that I have to work...

What it comes down to is I am a little ball of cranky right now because I am a little stressed out about an upcoming GRE exam. I know it isn't that big of a deal, but I tend to put a lot of pressure on myself when it comes to academic achievement.


photo: http://thelittlechimpsociety.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/sweaty.jpg

1 comment:

  1. well, of course I have to comment...

    The heat makes me nuts. Heat and humidity, that is. It's funny that you described how the heat makes you more aware of annoying things around you (or that things around you are suddenly annoying), I'm the same way. The other day I was hot and bothered and saw a guy wiping down his mat. All I could think was, "Why is that stupid guy wiping down his mat, do that at home!!"- but normally I would not have even noticed.

    I've said it before, I'll say it again: I'm terrified of menopause. (maybe others should be terrified of me when menopause hits!).

    Stay cool, Elise.

    ReplyDelete