Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Dear God,



It's me.  Are you there?

I'd pray when I was younger when there were things that felt completely out of my control.

A dog please.
Friends please.
Not to get caught please.

And yet, perhaps praying to God is a way of controlling the situation.  If I ask God, then clearly I have delegated a task to someone/thing who can get things done.  I've tossed a statement into a jar and sent it out to sea.  I have written a letter to Santa for presents and they better be the right ones otherwise I'll be stuck with a bunch of crap I don't want...

Asking God for stuff is making a choice that something is what I want.  At the time (back in the day) I'm sure I was talking to God the dude in the sky with the beard and I was this super-powerful earth goddess that totally connected with him.  I could talk to animals too.  Obviously.

I don't really pray like that anymore.  I think about God, but it is less like God my Big Brother and more like God the world is an amazing place.  I think about people and now and happiness and sadness and suffering and blessings.  I think about all this stuff crashing into each other in the middle of an intersection and that explosion in the center is God.  I think.

But today was different.  I had these intense internal moments during practice where I was there but then also sort of consciously decided to day dream that actually I was floating up to the sky and in Mukta Hasta Sirsasana C on a surf board zipping through the clouds.  And then I was thinking about blue bursts of light shooting up my guts and spine the color of blue 1980's dance/aerobics video lighting.  And then I was up in space flying around.  I just took my mind to this crazy place and giggled inside that no one in the room could have imagined that I was thinking about this stuff.

And it was also God.  It started with "God, I think that maybe today is the day that this crazy stuff is just going to snap my body in two".  And it turned into just "God".  God. God. God.  It gave me something to think about so I felt like I was busy or something.

But then after class as I dodged last night's puke on the sidewalk and hopped over puddles of dog pee, I thought about praying (or whatever).  "Um, so, hey God (or whatever).  Here's where I am at.  Give me a sign or something.  Okay, thanks."

I think that is it.


5 comments:

  1. Sorry to be your commenter on every post, but... had to laugh at the God reference because of that particular, um, Christ-like pose!! If you're ever going to feel crucified by the practice, it'll be that headstand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment away. I scared everyone away with my non-writing. so what's up liz. just you and me at this party :).


    now that i think about it, i think that owl wrote once that that pose also made her feel religious although i didnt really make the connection until you mentioned it. crucified by the practice? that's something to think about. hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha- yeah, I'm feeling a little crucified lately. Long practice, super hard, working on some poses a few times each... let's just say, I rise from the dead after Savasana!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm reading! i'm reading. i missed reading your blog! i happened to check it today and BAM, 3 new posts! i win!

    ReplyDelete