Saturday, January 14, 2012

I asked and this time got a very specific answer - read the Ramayana.

Same same but different.

Okay, so I'm reading it slowly chapter by chapter (the sweet little children's version which is about my comprehension level I suppose but hey it is a chapter book) and I'm at that part at the beginning where dude's going to name Rama as king.  Bharata and his ma Kaikeyi are happy for Rama and stuff.

I forgot about this.  I guess I just remembered her being very mad and jealous - but here she is chillin.  

Her maid/friend chick Manthara starts to talk to her about how it was all really bad and it is really this huge conspiracy against her and her son.  I guess the deal was that the King D already had two wives with no heirs - no kids at all - so he decided to take a third wife.  He made this deal with her pops that if he married her, their son would be king no matter what.  Being super polite, graceful, and content and all, Kaikeyi never mentioned the contract and I guess just sort of forgot about it as like this weird arrangement between power hungry men or something.  I mean, being king is hard and is a huge responsibility with loads of stress and all.  Rama was going to be good at it, so let him do it, whatever.

So anyway, even knowing that her son was "supposed" to be heir, Kaikeyi's mind was at peace.

Eventually she gets swayed into thinking that Rama would kill her son (maybe) and the whole conspiracy thing and then she you know gets Rama kicked out of the kingdom and the rest was history.

It is a bit like everything really.  Don't go to the movies, avoid big crowds (the cocostand), fb, etc.

But at the same time, Kaikeyi had to be swayed because her avatar (can I call it that?) had to get Rama out there after Ravana who was making the universe kind of mad.

Just that big uncolored circle again.  Being pulled by gravity and having the strength to stand.  My mind finds it all a bit overwhelming and comforting at the same time.  The mantra continues:  chickity-check yo self 

No comments:

Post a Comment