Saturday, December 22, 2007

2008 Ashtanga Calendars: The hunt

Do you really want another Yoga Journal calendar this year?
The goal: find a yoga calendar that speaks to ashtanga people.
Here is what I have found:

1. Caroline Klebl 2008 Ashtanga Yoga Calendar :

This is a black and white ashtanga-specific calendar. I like that it is polished and well-designed, but I wish it were of more than just one person. I think it can be a bit austere. (Picture on the right of Caroline in Karandavansana.)

2. If you must, here is Yoga Journal's calendar:

I love the bright colors of this calendar, but if you feel like you've seen these images before, it is because you have...This photo on the left of Kino MacGregor, for instance, was used for a cover, and to promote their conferences, and now this. There is only one ashtangi (I think) in this calendar, the rest are super-star yoga journal types, which is great (if you're into that sort of thing). Still, Kino's back bends are intoxicating. Can we have a posted of just Kino...backbending...all the time?


3. 2008 Shakti Calendar:

So, I was looking around this yoga boutique one day, when I came across this book called, Yoga Shakti, or was it just, Shakti? Anyway, it is a book of nudie ladies doing nudie yoga. Yep, that's it. I am under the impression that it was one of Shiva Rea's doings. And, here we have the calendar version. Will you like it? Well, it is in black and white, and therefore, tasteful, right? Do you like Anne Geddes calendars? You know the naked babies dressed as flowers or pumpkins? Well if you don't like those, you probably won't like this, unless of course, you really like boobs.


4. 2008 Acro Yoga Calendar:

Say what you will about the Acro Yoga vibe that is sweeping the world, but well, they are taking the world by storm. It has got to be something about the smiling and all the fun they seem to be having doing none other than yoga. This is a vibrant calendar printed in color with images of balancing, twirling, etc., all with partners in interesting locations. It is fun, it is inspiring, it is co-ed. If you're not down with the Acro Yogis, you won't be down with this. But it is nice that these are images of "real people". The picture on the left is of "March".

This is what you would expect from the typical run-of-the-mill, cheesy, hobby-related, calendar. It incorporates all things old-school-back-of-yoga-journal-spiritual-advertisements: Extreme asanas, of no particular theme or style (except aaah factor), extreme locals* (think David Swenson across to boulders), and bike shorts. It does get points for being color, outdoors, and non-yoga journal.

*Sometimes pics of people doing yoga outdoors is annoying to me. They weren't doing their whole practice, they were just like BAM! here's a move that's cool, right? Take a picture! It just isn't very authentic and hard for me to look at for a whole month.

6. 2008 Yoga Wall Calendar (Balance of Body and Soul):

This calendar looks like an Omega add campaign set in Greece. That's all I have to say. See cover image on left.





I first saw this calendar (image on right) in February on a visit to Ashtanga Yoga of Albuquerque. As far as I know, they are not available this year, which is a shame, as they truly capture the feeling of practice. Perhaps this feeling of authenticity comes from the fact that these people in California are actually practicing. It is full-color, full-on ashtanga mysore every month of the year. Well, at least for the lucky few that had one in 2007.
*Thanks to Yogibare for informing me that there are calendars available in 2008. I don't know if there are any left, as you have to pre-order, but it is worth a try! Try this link http://www.morningmysore.com/ or http://www.divine-eye.com/calendar.html.

I suppose yoga does have the reputation for being a "girlie-thing". It is in this spirit that this calendar was put together.

Blah blah blah

I included this all-man, "manly" calendar because watching them try is just so darn cute!



This sweet little calendar is of local teachers at the studio, "Wake Up Yoga", located in in Philadelphia. Perhaps I shouldn't have included this calendar, as it is not ashtanga-specific. But let's face it, there just really isn't that much to offer at the moment. If it is any consolation, they have an ashtanga led primary on their schedule...Anyway, I like cheering for the underdogs, and here we have some local peeps, doing their thing. I am SO into that!

10. The only calendar I live by:
"Shala time". Period.

HAPPY 2008 EVERYONE!
Be sure to check out http://www.livingmysore.com/ in January as we are launching our first magazine issue very soon!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Elise,
    The calendar from the mysore community in Mountain View, California is available for 2008. Check either www.moriningmysore.com or www.yogaisyouth.com for more information.
    Best,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elise,

    A friend let me know about your review of my calender (#7) and I just wanted to say thanks for the review. I was in Albuquerque last year at Christmas and was luck enough to find the Ashtanga studio there soon after it opened. I had an extra calender and gave them one, so I'm glad to hear that it got used. I did make a calender for 2008, but with a more limited printing. Next year, who knows, but with your complement I may be inspired to do it again!

    Keep blogging,
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave,

    Thanks for reading my blog! Glad you saw the review because, really, the calendar I saw was great! Hope to see one in 2009...

    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elise
    I'm guilty of the here's a beautiful setting, here's the pose, snap the picture. It was by the beach. I wish I could take pictures of my practice at home, but there is no space. I'm familiar with the Mountainview calendar. The pictures they take in preparation for it are beautiful. Many of my artistic derivations posted in the blog come from those pictures. Plus I know some of the practitioners and teachers.
    I love Kino and have been luck to practice with her in the past when I lived in Florida, and when she did a workshop here recently with Tim.
    hugs
    Arturo

    ReplyDelete