Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Indian Way

Before I went to India, I was very concerned about the hand policy. Left, right, right, left, how would I remember? I tried to sit on my left hand while I ate, and was shocked when I reached for toilet paper with my right. But once in India, the problem was not a problem at all. In fact, toilet paper available or not, I very easily I appreciated the comfort of having a "clean" and a "dirty" hand.

Back in my apartment post-India, it took me a few days before I realized that in the west, its not that people don't care about being clean or dirty, its that this is a righty's world. I've been making mental note of this. Almost every WC I encounter had the toilet paper roll to the right of the toilet, whereas in India, it was mostly on the left. This must be particularly traumatizing to those who grew up with a dirty/clean hand policy. So do lefty's wipe left? That's quite a reach around. Do you just use the hand closest to the paper?
On the Tyra Show (I know, I know), Tyra gave western toilet squatting lessons to a post surgical woman. (Man who is now woman.) She definitely told her to wipe right.
I digress.
After some initial turbulence, practice today was smooth sailing. I seemed to have "proved" my second series worthiness, whatever that means. Had some hinting towards the next pose coming tomorrow. I'm a bit scared. This is uncharted territory I have a hard time believing that that stuff is possible for my body. Swaha.

10 comments:

  1. Oh! I just saw your blog from yesterday! Say hi to Guy for me!!!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi YC!

    In Ny at the moment...I'll surely say hello! Where are you practicing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am practicing with Valerie Schneiderman in Georgetown, CT - it's called the Yoga Shala. I have been practicing Second Series these days - who knew? Still can't stand up properly from a backbend, but as I progress through the second series backbends, it gets closer (I can stand up, but I usually hurtle forward!).

    I am happy for you that you are up to the point of splitting your practice. Mine is too long at this point. It's intimidating day in day out. But I guess there's a method to this madness!

    How is Guy? Lori? I hope to see Lori at a baby shower in March for Maria, who was in my teacher training at AYS. Anyway, keep blogging and you can email me if you want to chat offline (lscnyc425 at g mail)

    ReplyDelete
  4. cheers! will do!

    OMG I know! Primary plus second takes FOREVER. Imagine not splitting until karandavasana? Yipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you get past Karandavasana? I was wondering about that from your post. Obviously my reading comp skills could use work. If so, that is AWESOME! If not, at what point can you start taking poses out of the Primary Series and skipping right to Second? Val told me to skip from Navasana to Second when I am running out of time. She is totally wanting me to focus on backbends, while it is totally my inclination to always do all of Primary because it's so within my comfort zone. Ha. So, how does it work with you? And did Guy stick with your program that you got from Russell?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, the split. I actually wrote about it for today's posting...
    Before I went to mysore, I was practicing up to bakasana b. There were a couple of days where I had very little time, and in those instances, I practiced second after navasana (as per Guy's instruction).
    Russell split me while Guy was away at eka pada and took me up to yoga nidra. I totally thought Guy would take them all away, and he was hesitant when I told him before practice, but after, he said it was ok.
    It is REALLY scary being out of the comfort zone. I almost wanted Guy to take away poses because I am a little afraid of whats coming up...

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, so one last clarification...do you always do Primary up to Navasana and then skip to Pasasana? Or do you not do Primary except on Fridays?

    It's such an interesting thing, this split, because I know students who really don't WANT to split because they don't want to do LESS. And then I know a lot more students who are so happy and relieved to split. Or to just do Second Series. A friend from my CT shala won't ONLY do Second, even though Val has recommended that she just do Second. I think she feels that she still has work to do on Primary.

    Anyway....!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. DISCLAIMER:
    I am SO NOT giving yoga advice online. So don't quote me!

    But OK, it seems like if you are doing 1/2 primary plus second, you would do Primary up to Navasana and then skip to Pasasana. The next day you would do the second 1/2 of first and then skip to pasansan. Then Friday just primary.

    If you have the "full" split, you just do second every day except fridays.

    ReplyDelete