Tuesday, February 19, 2008

So Sore (the 5:30am pre-teaching and practicing post)

This week I got yoga nidrasana from Russell. I was a bit surprised, actually. I suppose I'm always surprised when I get a new pose.

The other night, I had browsed through my copy of Iyengar's Light on Yoga, and under eka pada sirsasana, the thing that really stands out is his comment on how in this pose you really realize how hard it is to get a leg back behind your head and keep it there. When I saw people doing the pose in the past, they always looked so serene, now I understand that they were concentrating on a lot of different things at once. For instance, you have to get the leg back there, plus you have to find a sweet spot where the leg can rest and not fly off your back. But, you also have to be able to fold and to do any of this, you have to be able to hold your head up.

For someone that reads constantly, I am discovering all the underdeveloped muscles in the back of my neck. It doesn't make sleeping particularly pleasant, but I'm hoping that its going to do wonders for my posture.

Next comes dwi pada sirsasana. Its not the legs behind the head part that is hard, its the lack of strength in my neck. After all the work in eka pada, I've got very little left to give dwi pada. I wonder how long it will take to get stronger? I think the first week the body is like "cool, I can handle this." The second week, it has used all its energy and that is when the real body changes begin.

Yoga nidrasana is great because gravity helps your head to weigh down your legs.

In a rush, off to teach...

5 comments:

  1. I am currently practicing through Pincha M, second only. Your neck muscles will become stronger more quickly then you would imagine. I find the stretching in my lower back to be where my energy has been releasing in these postures! Also, if you ever figure out how to vinyasa out of Pincha-M, I am struggling with that only to find fear gets in the way each day....

    Happy Practicing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I ever get there, I'll let you know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I ever manage yoga nidrasana I will dance in my bra and pants in the park and post pictures of it on my blog. Its one of those poses I would love to reach but am not convinced I will do in this life time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously Skelly, I never EVER thought I'd be doing second series at all. Slowly slowly all is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah the pincha jump back.
    it is a huge part mental control.
    one has to really truly believe it is possible and then do it. no thinking. if you have to think about something, think about the bottom of the exhales in the low belly.

    you do! you take!

    ReplyDelete