Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Splits

Semi, half, no split. Which is it? It seems there is no simple answer.

First, what is "the split"? When practicing mysore style, you learn first series one pose at a time. At a certain point, perhaps your teacher will decide that you are ready for the next pose which, if you are practicing a satisfactory primary up to setu bandasana, would be pasasana--the first pose of second series. So every day, you would go do your primary series practice up to pasasana, and then maybe you get another pose, and you continue like this, adding poses onto the tail of primary until one miraculous day when your teacher splits your practice. This means that you only have to practice one series--second. Then you would go on practicing second series adding a pose now and then until you practice all of second and then you get third series postures tagged on the end. You continue adding poses to a certain point and then your teacher gives you the split this time for third series only.

In the case of the second series split (practicing only second series), you would still practice primary on Fridays. In Mysore, you might also practice primary on Sundays. This is because Sundays are the "led" days. If there aren't any second series led classes offered, then you practice first.

But the question remains: at what pose will I get spilt in second series? There are many answers. The current trend in Mysore is getting split at eka pada sirsasana. However, one must wonder if this is on a case by case basis, if this is a time and space issue, or if it is "official" policy. I've spoken to a few teachers and students on the subject, and answers vary. Some of the older teachers say that back in the day, Guruji had them practicing both first AND second series until they got to the first pose of third. I didn't hear what happened after. Others say that "past generations" were split at karandavasana. Still others recommend doing a "semi-split" until karandavasana. In this instance, one would practice the first half of primary one day plus second series asanas, the second half of primary the next day plus second series asanas, and back and forth all week.

The main reason for the longer wait for the split seems to be developing and maintaining strength for karandavasana and third series. So then why split earlier at eka pada? I've heard there have been other changes made to the practice over the years, though the reasons are hazy. I've heard there was a second variation of lagu vajrasana, for instance. I've also heard drop backs didn't happen until well into second series, instead of as the final trial before second. I've also heard that hand mudras were okay in the past, but now they aren't. Not that any of it matters really I suppose.

On my split:
I am pretty surprised at how sore my arms are and how quickly my neck is growing stronger. I figured with second series only I'd be having it easy. Not so! Perhaps it is the belly back bend/upward dog transition or some other new muscle groups being developed...And indeed, my neck is getting much stronger by the day. I remember on that first day, I had a little voice in the back of my head that was convinced my leg would push my head right of my shoulders. I am looking forward to primary tomorrow. All the forward bending is calming and soothing for my back. Plus, its a nice way to end the week.

5 comments:

  1. Wow--this is highly informational! I wonder why the procedure of progressing a student through secondary is so mysterious and changeable. I know my teacher for instance, waits a LOOONG time before letting students cut out primary, although I haven't noticed exactly where the cutoff is. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cara,

    I'm sure there is much more on this subject to be said...it is so mysterious! It makes me wonder if at some point there are these secret meetings where teachers decide, "ok, lets split people here or there." Just kidding.

    I think that Guruji really was teaching every person as an individual, so there are many interpretations of when a student should be split based on what each teacher's experience was with Guruji. Is there a right or wrong way? *shrug* I mean, I doubt that authorized/certified teachers are out there making things up...

    My teacher waits a long time usually too. Hmm.

    I wonder when the split started happening earlier in mysore?

    I feel like teachers don't want to talk about evolutions in the practice, but why not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since there are no meetings, no formal trainings, no adjustment workshops for authorized and certified teachers, they must be either teaching exactly as they were taught (e.g., Guy) or teaching as instinct tells them (e.g., Val, my teacher in CT). Different times produced different teachers...as the crowds became bigger in Mysore, the teaching got slower - less poses, more splitting. Sadly, I don't think it always makes as much sense as it should.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elise - you wrote
    "Still others recommend doing a "semi-split" until karandavasana. In this instance, one would practice the first half of primary one day plus second series asanas, the second half of primary the next day plus second series asanas, and back and forth all week."
    this was suggested to me by a teacher when i practiced in europe 5 years ago. when I reported it to my teacher in florida, he thought i was crazy, so i'm surprised to read about it here that it had some basis on the past.

    the whole hand mudra thing, (angeli mudra) as i understand it, initially there were no mudras when guruji was first teaching in california. then california yogis influenced the practice and they were added. recently a certified teacher had me take them out of standing poses. i've taken them out except from dropbacks and kapotasana. but in those poses i need divine intervention, so it's good to say a little prayer before going back.
    cheers, arturo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arturo,

    How interesting! It is so funny when one teacher shows you something and then another teacher looks at you like you are insane :D
    That happened to me recently in a certain pose...

    On mudras--well, in mysore, I've seen Sharath flick people's hands when they were doing them...But, if you watch the Yoga Works second series Guruji video, Chuck is making mudras in krounchasana.

    So, is it incorrect now, maybe. Guess it depends on who you consider your teacher to be. Will it kill you? Probably not.

    ReplyDelete