Saturday, July 21, 2007

Real Estate Survival Course: The emotional, angry, homesick, baby-boo post

Last night I slept from 7pm to 7am this morning. I was still tired when I woke up and my face was puffy from all the mosquito bites. I tried to get a cup of water from my water jug (everyone rents a water jug to put in their room with filtered water). I was pleasantly greeted with a broken tap that I had failed to notice the night before. Fabulous. I got ready in a hurry for our day trip (Elissa, Miriam, and I) to Bylakupee Monastery. The whole trip cost 1500 rupees (divided by 3) plus food. More on the trip later.
Mostly I felt horrible. My stomach feels heavy. I've been eating a bit of dairy, sugar, and gluten, all of which I don't ever have at home and I think it is catching up to me. When we got back, I went to pick up my cellphone after 3 days of the cell guy telling me to "come back tomorrow, come back tomorrow." When in the meantime, they probably called all their family members in the states. Luckily it was there and now I have a plan. Then off to the tailors to pick up my shirts. They came out very nice, or maybe I just wanted to go home. Last stop was to Krishna Murthy to get my water replaced and to tell him how unhappy I was with my living situation. When I went with him to see the place everyone told me that it would be cleaned and ready for me by the time I moved in that night. It wasn't. It took like 3 days to convince them to clean the toilet. There are no window coverings, I'm being eaten alive by mosquitoes, there are ants in the cabinet, and I'm convinced that someone is using my toilet. Today when I got home the toilet seat was up. Anyone who knows me knows how crazy I get about the lid up, no less the entire seat. Why on earth would I do that? I opened the bedroom to let Murthy in to change the water, only to find that the whole room was flooded because the water tank had leaked all day. When I asked the landlady for cleaning supplies, she went into my bathroom to get my bathing buckets to clean the floor! I can only assume that this same philosophy was applied for cleaning my toilet. In all probability, i have been taking bucket showers with the same bucket used to clean my toilet! !#^&**!%%!!!
Part of me wants to scream, cry, go home, crawl under a bed. But what can I do? I cleaned up the floor, went to the store for homemade chocolate, and tried to call "B", who didn't answer.
This girl Rachel told Elissa that coming to Mysore you can't reach for things like you can at home, instead you have to reach for yourself.
Universal Real Estate Tips:
1. Don't hand over the money until the space is EXACTLY how you want it to be.
2. See tip number 1
3. See tip number 1
4. See tip number 1
5. Don't under any circumstances hand over money until the said space is EXACTLY how you would like to live in it!

2 comments:

  1. Mosquito netting are pretty easy to come by in town or on the main road in Gokulam that will solve the sleeping issue and you can always grab a separate bucket for your bath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips! I've also found that leaving the fan on can be helpful. I decided to keep the bathing buckets in my room for now on. One certainly has to learn how to let things go!

    ReplyDelete