Thursday, July 19, 2007

Sleep


A full night's sleep at last. I moved into the new room yesterday, and after looking around realized that I could have probably done better. I imagine it was a lot like meeting someone somewhere dark, and they appeared incredibly attractive. Then, you met some other day in the light and...


(This picture is from yogapath.info)

I really did not expect to sleep at all. I was actually kind of grossed out. There were ants in the cabinets where I was supposed to put my clothes, which would not have been a problem if I had hangers on which to hang my clothes. There was no way I was going to fold my clothes and put them in there only to get eaten by ants. So I did the only logical thing. I took every clothing item and hung them on the windows, thereby killing two birds with one stone. (The other bird was the lack of window coverings. Not so good when your windows face the street.) Last night, I hung out in Elisa's room (another yoga student staying upstairs). She got in a couple of days after me, so we both could relate on the jet lag thing. People around here say it takes about a week to get over it. No one really says what the symptoms are, but apparently I must have had it.

Anyway, we tried desperately to keep each other awake until 10pm, thinking that maybe that would help us wake up at 6am instead of 1, 2, 3, or 4am, like on other nights. She told me about her day and the things that she's seen. I mumbled things back with my eyes slowly closing. She mentioned something about a cockroach falling on her head wall she was sleeping a couple of nights ago. (Our rooms don't have mosquito nets over the beds.) Her room is cleaner and nicer than mine. Not very confidence-inspiring. And then, I saw a lizard crawling on the wall. Elisa jumped up and was screaming, I tried to catch it but it was too fast. I thought it went out the window, so we closed the window and she pounded the curtains with some large metal object that was just lying around.

We made it to 10pm and said goodnight. I sulked down to the maid's quarters, took a deep breath, and slid into the sheets. They were damp. Lovely. I could hear Elisa screaming upstairs. I think the lizard came back.
I like to take a hot shower in the morning before practice. I woke up this morning at 6am, went to the bathroom and turned on the water heater and waited. I turned on the water and started to fill up the bucket. No hot water. I waited for a while and came to accept that this morning's shower would be cold, and I wouldn't enjoy it.

Practice was uneventful. I got no adjustments, except back bends with Saraswati (who gives very a very one-of-a-kind drop back). Ankle grabbing was fine and I skipped finishing postures. Tomorrow is the led class and I'll be doing finishing postures. I hope I can hide in the back, I don't want to get picked on in headstand again!

I saw Guruji yesterday. Alex had to pay her Shala fees and I went with her. While we were there we went to the Shala "store", which is less of a store and more of a storeroom. They have AYRI bocks, shirts, posters, and T-shirts with Guruji's face airbrushed on them. On the way out, you have to walk through the practice area. I peeked into the office and saw Guruji. Things are changing.

Today was harmonium hunting...

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the adjustment Saraswati gives in paschimottanasana after backbends. It comes without warning at first until you get used to it, but in the end it made my back feel great

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing that when you say 'lizard' you're talking about geckos. They are very cool creatures -- they can climb vertical surfaces because of the thousands of microscopic hair-like extensions on their feet that act as grippers. Also, if their tail gets grabbed by a predator (or anything else) they are able to disengage the tail -- it falls right off! How's that for a useful adaptation?! Make friends with them -- they're everywhere and will not hurt you, and they eat insects such as the one that fell on your friend in her bed...

    ReplyDelete