Sunday, July 22, 2007

Dehli belly



I spent the whole night in a fetal position groaning and moaning swallowing down nausea and hoping for diarrhea. My body ached, the boat was rocking, I was a mess. I knocked on Elissa's door to tell her I wouldn't be practicing today. There was no way. No way.
After a few more hours of sleep, I called Alex and shuffled over to her house, which isn't far. I was sweating and nauseous, but figured that if I had to puke, outside was the best place. Plus, Alex has a squat toilet, which frankly, sounded like the cure. And a television, which cures anything.

She fed me grapefruit seed extract, which if you haven't taken is awful. But apparently, you can use it as an antibacterial. It purifies water, cleans wounds, helps diarrhea, etc, etc. Try a couple of drops and you'll see. I had one bite of millet toast, but couldn't imagine eating much else. You know how when you get really sick to your stomach, you keep thinking back to the thing that you ate, and the thought of that thing is almost enough for you to lose your guts? Well I couldn't stop thinking of roadside family restaurants serving greasy dosas and chutneys. Semolina mush, cheese tortilla thinks, dosas, oh dosas. And a single flash of the one speck of sugar I ate on Chamundi Hill from the cave Swami. These images would flash and my stomach would turn and writing about this right now is making me hold my stomach and cover my mouth. But I'll do it for you, dear reader. I've even dug some flicks off the Internet. You've got the chapati, roti, dosa, and paper dosa. All super greasy. Our "house mom" said that you should eat them only once a week, not three times a day. But everyone else downs them with such vigor and enthusiasm that I didn't want to be left out. But from now on, I'm initiating a boycott. I don't eat gluten anyway, so why did I think this was a good idea?

I feel a little better now, I mean, I was able to walk to Anu's for the net, which is a big leap. I'm not sure how I'll feel tomorrow, but I hope I feel well enough to practice. Some people at the Green Market (every Sunday, the Green Hotel holds a market with all organic produce and such) mentioned that they knew people with a 24 hour bug. Sounds like that could be it. Who knows. At least its not Malaria. I think. What are the symptoms?

Tomorrow I'm also going to join the Sanskrit class, which sounds more like just chanting. Its with a professor Jayashri and it sounds lovely. I'm looking forward to doing something more meaningful than shopping.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh, :( I got the DB twice, it is soo not fun. 'Specially when you don't have a cosy place to comfort yourself. Glad you had someone to take care of you!!

    ReplyDelete