Tuesday, July 17, 2007

First mysore class

I woke up this morning at 1am absolutely convinced that I had slept to 4am. Nope. I laid in be and stared at the wall I slept over at my friend Alexandra's house again tonight because I couldn't be bothered to walk over to my new place. I went to practice and it was great.

I did first series and didn't get an adjustment until back bending. I felt really light today which was nice and surprising considering the fact that I have been eating like a horse. My back felt ok today so I did three wheels and stood up. Sharath was standing right there. I think he does that for everyone so they don't run into the person in front of them if they lose control of their back bend. So anyway, I came up and said "oh, hi!". He smiled and said "hi" back. I turn into such a goofball when I practice. Drop backs felt good, which was really great and then drop backs with Sharath went well as also. He had me grab my ankles which I haven't been doing as Guy has been out of town and the person covering for him, Mark, hasn't been doing ankle grabbing yet with any of the students. I thought it would be weird going straight to it without doing second series stuff but actually it felt really good. I think I just needed a good stretch after not practicing that much and all the travel. He did tell me though that I had to fix my feet. I know I tell everyone this, and now you have to believe me that it is really bad to turn your feet out in back bends and it is a super hard habit to break.

Here is a pic I found of someone doing ankle grabbing from the Internet (see above, right). And on the left is a highly illegal pic I found on someone's blog of a led class in 05. You can see how they pack them in there. In the very back you can see Sharath in the white t-shirt.

After back bends, Sharath squishes you and then you pick up your mat and go to the dressing room/bathroom/locker room to do your finishing postures. When you walk in, to the left are restrooms, and to the right are some shelves and some floor space to do finishing postures. You can also go up the stairs to a little loft area where there is lockers and some floor space for finishing. I just laid on my back for a while, did my lotus's, and then rested for a while. Just trying to go easy (a little at least).

In front of the shala, a guy parks his truck full of coconuts that he chops open and sells to yoga students for 10rs ($.10), although someone said they were actually only 7rs ($0.18), but I guess he just doesn't give change. He cuts off the top and gives you a straw and you drink out the water. Then, if you ask him to, he'll cut the coconut in half for you to scoop out the jelly. In NYC, I think you would call it "meat" because the inside can be quite tough sometimes. But, here everything is very fresh and the inside has the consistency of jelly.

I had a harmonium lesson yesterday that was way too expensive at 450rs ($11.25). It was interesting. The guy was all over the place and I was trying desperately to keep up with the chanting. He kept telling me "higher! higher!" As my voice croaked and squeaked like a dying animal. At the same time he was placing my fingers on keys for me and texting someone on his cellphone. I'd like to buy a harmonium and take lessons. Sanskrit lessons at the Shala that start next week are only 700rs ($17). I think this is for two weeks, three days a week. This harmonium guy wanted 4500rs ($112.5) for ten 1/2 hour sessions. My rent only costs 6000rs ($150) for the month. So that said, I don't know why I would pay this guy so much money. I'll be doing the Sanskrit next week, and I think they have chanting too, so this week's mission is to find the harmonium and hopefully a teacher.

For those of you wondering, I'm still brushing my teeth with bottled water. Haven't gotten sick either. More about the usage of the right versus left had in a later post.

PS-Haven't seen Guruji yet. His birthday is next week.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Elise,

    Greenpoint was flooded with thunderstorms today and my internet was down all day

    IT is great to follow you around while you discover the Mysore uncharted territories.

    Very inspirational!

    BTW- I think the ankle grabber picture is of Sharath with Paul from Yoga Thailand.

    Your neighbor,
    RIta

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a coincidence! It probably is. I know that it is Sharath here in Mysore, but I didn't know who the other guy was...

    ReplyDelete