Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Don't you see I love you? And tips for karandavasana

Picture me shaking a rag doll viciously while screaming "I LOVE YOU!" while its head bobs back and forth and the stitch securing its button eye loosens and the eye is dangling down. And now imagine that the rag doll and I take turns shaking each other but we can't seem to figure out how to both be rag dolls or people at the same time. It goes like this: Hug the doll, love the doll, freak out and shake the doll, hug the doll again.

I wanted to practice, I wanted to swim, instead I'll run around this fantastic city and hopefully remember to remember that it won't be surrounding me tomorrow.

Kirsten's Tips for Karandavasana
1. Be sure to make the lotus as tight as possible
2. Stretch your knees up to the sky first as if someone were pulling you up. This helps you to find the bandhas
3. Steady your breath
4. Simultaneously lean your shoulders forward as you wrap your pelvis around an imaginary monkey bar. Aim your knees for your kidneys.
5. As you move, think of being inside a cylinder. You are compacting yourself and dropping straight down.
6. You have to lean your chin forward more than you think (like in bhujapidasana) to counterbalance perching your knees on your arms.
7. And then you come up and jump back. The end.

My tips for karandavasana?
1. Picture yourself on the main lawn of central park having yoga playtime/picnic with friends.
2. Be calm, relaxed, almost lazy--the grass smells fresh
3. Look forward as much as possible--you can see your thumbs and past that thousands of blades of grass
4. Stay soft yet in control--the grass is cool under your forearms
5. Nick your upper arms and then bounce to the floor butt first. Then laugh and try again.


8 comments:

  1. Have a safe flight and a wonderful journey.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks God, she left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe she didn't leave. Maybe she's coming. It's all in the perspective you choose to take.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it could happen that you’re right liz … what do you say? perspective? hmmm naaay, she just left NYC… another yoga pilgrim running to Mysore ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha ha!!
    Zee, you made me laugh! Don't lose your edge now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your doll story reminds me of my 20 month old daughter! :)

    ReplyDelete