Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Green Eggs

About 24 hours and $5.50 later I am sitting in a local coffee shop feeling really good about being in New York. It's that warm fuzzy tickle behind my sternum that makes me smile a little. Looking back, it's the same feeling I had walking across the Brooklyn Bridge for the first time and deciding that yes, this was where I wanted to be.

I break out the laptop and sip tea and here come my eggs and they are scrambled. But I hate scrambled eggs! But I didn't say anything. And I didn't get angry. The thought came up for a second and then it was gone and I took a bite and I liked them.

Before noon, the streets are still soft and if you have a chance to walk them and are able to look around, you notice all the many lives unfolding around you. A woman pushes a stroller. A bike passes by. People doing tai chi. Homeless kids laughing and passing a cigarette. Even the guy who turned suddenly stomping on my foot made me smile. I looked up and saw a man with his head out an apartment window. AC water dripped onto my head like sweet summer rain. Isn't it funny how you have to trick yourself into doing things differently and when you do, you're always surprised at how amazing it looks from the new angle.

"I'm barely helping you at all." Ha. Yeah right. It's a nice sentiment though. All those little details that you forgot you gave yourself permission to slide are now center stage when the visiting teachers come to town. Day one they watch you and take notes. Day two you get feedback and nod your head yeah yeah yeah. Day three you do. You do! You sadistic #&%#ers, #%&@ you! Day four you realize that maybe you aren't seeing yourself clearly (duh).

I've never watched myself practice. How can I be objective? How can I see the possibility? I can feel the kinks. It's so quickly that weeds overrun the flowerbed. We don't even notice they are there. And the gardener comes around and pulls and pulls and pulls.

Today I finally let out a sigh and said "okay". And I wasn't just saying it. Inside, my body said let's be open to the possibility. And now everything looks translucent.

Next post: A look at Ashtanga Yoga Immersions...

4 comments:

  1. on a second read i think it sounds like i was resistant to the teachers, but actually i wasnt at all. its just that some of the things they asked felt impossible and the effort to try was exhausting. but of course, they wouldn't suggest unless it was possible. trust is important between a teacher and a student!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very mysterious post. Please elaborate:) Did your teachers really take notes on your practice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. no, I'm sure I'm not that interesting (or mysterious). They didnt have a pad and paper, but you know, the first day with a new teacher, the adjustments aren't too strong, they spend a lot of time watching you to see what your practice is like--watching everyone in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Elise! You bring me back to NY and I smiled reading about that sternum tickle. I know it well. ;)

    Have fun with the visiting teachers...

    ReplyDelete