Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Sternoclavicular Joint and Thigh Grabbing


I stretch my neck forward and turn on the bright light in the bathroom. "What the--Come look at this!" One of my collarbones seems to be noticeably more visible than the other. But this isn't what bothers me, it's the little bruise marking a small ball where my collarbone meets my sternum. That can't be good.

I find it fascinating that the only joint connecting the arms to the torso is this small little spot. It is so small and delicate like a little flower. And here I come jumping and flying off my trampoline into the flower bed. Stomp.

It doesn't hurt, but it does feel like something is a little off. That said, this is an ongoing asymmetry. A few years ago I was a model for a chiropractic body evaluation teaching session where the student looked at me to learn how to "read" a body. Things that are off when you are standing--such as a shoulder scooping forward a bit more than the other or a hip that does the same--aren't a big deal because you can fix them by changing your physical patterns in day to day life. It's the things that show when you are lying down that are a bit more stubborn. On the day, I had nothing that was obvious when lying down.

I forgot about this stuff until the last few months when I have noticed that sometimes the joint pops or cracks when I'm in upward facing dog. It doesn't feel bad or painful, just weird--kind of embarrassing because I feel like a mutant.

I figure some practice with attention to this area will help put it back in place...

With my mind so focused on all this craziness, when it came to back bending I sort of laughed and joked: "Yeah yeah today...thighs!" And thighs it was. Well, "thigh" actually, but that's a start.

4 comments:

  1. Mine pops all the time.. In fact, I like to make it pop sometimes. I never really noticed it before but since my sugeries I've noticed it significantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about trying a chiropractor? Some are really good, caring and careful, and perhaps should be able to give you some ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're probably right--but I tend to think that they aren't a one time fix. i want to believe that I need to correct my movement rather than just put it back and then mess it up again with the same patterns and then put it back etc.

    ReplyDelete