Tuesday, July 8, 2008

"Ah ha!" Moments and Guess What? I Love Gymnastics

A few months back, I was busy pondering the difference between my back bends and what they could be. To review, my Iyengar friend Cory Washburn suggested that I "mull over" the concept of opening the back of my knee in drop backs. And mull I have in the hopes of obtaining more control and possibly that ever so lovely moment of suspension before delicately resting my hands to the floor and of course, coming up with no clear indication to the onlooker that that was what was about to occur: it was yoga magic. I knew that this would change a few things and require a shift in mind and body, but the idea of a "pain"-free and healthy back bend (productive back bending, really) kept me optimistic. I also knew that an indicator that I was if fact opening the back of my knee was being sore in my hamstrings and possibly belly instead of my quads and low back.

Almost two months later, I'm coming up from knee grabbing with legs straight and my butt on fire, my salambasana flying, lagu vajrasana a guarantee, and mayurasana becoming increasingly accessible. So there we have it--ah hah!

I don't remember what exactly compelled me to look up gymnastics on the internet, but somehow there I was googling away. Maybe it was the swimming trials on TV and I thought that watching gymnastics trials might be a great way to spend a rainy afternoon... Anyway, one thing leads to another and I'm watching youtube videos of elite gymnastics training. What I found particularly interesting was the number of tears, heartbreak, and toil behind the scenes movies that were listed. So it is hard. I get it. I love that people make videos of it. My favorite was a clip of this tiny girl maybe 8 years old in a supta padangustasana type position with her coach sitting on her extended leg while he pushed her raised leg with two hands into her face. She alternated between pushing her leg away and arms to the sides in exasperation, all in a fit of tears and agony. Wow.

I got to thinking about the similarities between the tears and toil in ashtanga practice and gymnastics and then between the two practices (and dedication to anything, really). There is quite a bit of hard work, frustration, and dumb and numb persistence involved. I know that even mentioning gymnastics on an ashtanga blog is controversial. Let's just get that out of the way.

Why would it be controversial? Well in case you're new, here's the rundown:
1. Because the origins of the hatha practice of ashtanga yoga are a bit vague. There, I said it. The original text that the practice is based on called the Yoga Korunta was eaten by ants, disintegrated, burned, vanished, etc. Some people say that it was a mix of yoga stretches, gymnastics, and wrestling exercises. Ashtanga people don't like this interpretation at all because it implies that the practice is very much based on practices that could be considered superficial in that they are based in the physical rather than the mental.
2. Because maybe people might think that I was a gymnast up until yesterday and so obviously this makes ashtanga yoga so easy for me and there is no merit in anything I do or say because I didn't have any tears or toil. I admit, I did gymnastics for a couple of years as a kid with Olympic dreams...REALLY big dreams. However, when I started yoga, I couldn't touch my toes. Now dancers are a whole other story...jk
3. Because if I'm entertained by gymnastics then I must hold a lot of merit in the physical aspect of practice and therefore am an asana-obsessed ego maniac. This one is true. ha.)

Now back to the gymnastics. I'm fascinated by the whole thing. The coaches, the grueling training, how strange it is to glamorize prepubescent girls, the eating disorders, the drama, the psychology, the voyeurism, just all of it. But most of all, I find it incredibly interesting that gymnastics is largely a kids' sport that destroys their bodies, while ashtanga yoga is extremely physically demanding, yet can be maintained for a lifetime and actually makes the body healthier. Where is the line drawn? Obviously, there is much more to this crazy ashtanga stuff than the poses.

10 comments:

  1. i love reading your posts! and maybe because i'm new, i'm really fascinated with the "origins" of the practice. not long ago i finished norman sjoman's book on yoga at the mysore palace, and it really hits on the same points you do about the origins of krisnamacharya's work and astanga vinyasa, which i tend to believe. i love guy's interview of norman allen, when guy asks him about these same questions and the yoga korunta, norman says something like, "so what, turned out to be a pretty nice system!" i have to agree, there is something really magical to me about the mala of asana strung on a thread of breath. i'm going to be in mysore for september, hope to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you couldn't touch your toes? there's hope for me then

    ReplyDelete
  3. ee-thanks! me too, it is really interesting. yes, me too!

    d-of course there's always hope, but non attachment is better or whatever ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, I love gymnastics too. And breakdancing. It's all gravity defying, grace, and sheer strength. What's not to love. I think it's totally fine to embrace that part of the practice. It doesn't mean you're only doing it to be the gymnast yogi. ha ha!!
    So... what the heck? opening the backs of the knees? For those of us who are about 4 feet away from our feet in backbends and not grabbing our ankles, knees or whatever- any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love the fact that you touched on this topic. When growing up, I really wanted to learn gymnastics--in fact, I was pretty good at doing lots of tricks by myself, though my parents never really wanted me to take lessons. Eventually, all the flexibility I had (I could do splits cold) was gone and now I"m fighting to gain some of it back through the Yoga. In the process, I've noticed the reminiscence to gymnastics, though something inside me made me feel that this comparison would not sound "kosher" to the ashtangis... and now you've explained why!!!

    I do like to watch for the similarities, however, and love the point you've made on the fact that Yoga is a sustainable practice (aside from having a spiritual side) while gymnastics are not. Plus, as Dan said, you've given me hope about what I can reach from my current state if I apply myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. L- practice practice practice :)

    N-I was never too great at the splits, I was always finding ways to fake it. I actually think that I am stronger and more flexible now than then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elise,
    I have chanced upon your blog from Ashtangi.net; you raise some interesting points about the similarities between the ashtanga vinyasa yoga sequences and gymnastics.

    The practice of the linked yoga asana has really given me a new appreciation for gymnastics — as well as the pain and injury those athletes go through.

    Perhaps more controversial than mentioning gymnastics and ashtanga yoga in the same blog post, however, is challenging the idea that "ashtanga yoga is extremely physically demanding, yet can be maintained for a lifetime and actually makes the body healthier."

    A majority (though as yet unquantified) of long-time ashtanga yoga practitioners I know have been seriously injured at some point.

    I would also be curious to know how many students in Mysore are availing themselves of the MRI services at the hospital, and I would also be curious as to both the health of the scanned knees and spines.

    What's more, many (most?) long-time practitioners have practices that look nothing like the sequences as they are known.

    We could most famously look at all the practitioners in the famous Yoga Works videos from 1993 — only two of the six currently have daily asana practices (and that one of those students does is pure speculation on my part), and I know that one of them has a dramatically softer practice.

    This would be an interesting line of thought to pursue — is the ashtanga yoga practice safe for long-term practice? Does it drop away or transform into something else? If so, when?

    Might make for some interesting reading and conversation.

    As for the key gymnastics/yoga differentiation, I once read somewhere that "the prana makes the asana yoga." I quite like that.

    best,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey now... if "practice, practice, practice" works... then why are you consulting with an Iyengar teacher? heh heh. Come on, Elise, queen of tips, understand where I'm coming from. "opening the backs of the knees" sound like "breath through your kidney" or some other weird yoga talk I have heard in the past... it's yoga speak for strengthening and stretching your hamstrings, right? or no?

    ReplyDelete
  9. it is a strange thing. It kind of means to use your hamstrings, but you dont use them like you do in salambasana, more like they are trying desperately to stay straight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jason, I wrote a post to respond to your comment (july 13). I don't think I responded to everything, but maybe it will get a dialogue going :)

    ReplyDelete