Saturday, June 7, 2008

Ashtanga Yoga Cheat Sheets

Okay, now, while I don't think yoga should be learned from pictures, I do know that this is how I started my practice.  I hunted these practice sheets down because I know that 
1.  not everyone can afford a yoga class
2.  not everyone has time for a yoga class
3.  some people are visual learners
4.  some people cannot go to a teacher 6 days a week and need help remembering (in the beginning) what to practice

and also because
1.  I think that the more free info in the world, the better
2.  I want people to be excited about yoga and practice
3.  It can be fun to look ahead to see what is coming
4.  It can be fun to show your friends where you are in the sequence
5.  Finding this stuff on the net is like pulling teeth

Cheat sheets can be helpful for these reasons.  However, I very strongly feel that one should learn from a teacher and that you shouldn't bring these to class.  Being clueless builds character.

Without further ado:
Standing postures   please note that there are some "extras" in here that aren't taught in the standing sequence at AYRI.
Primary series   more extras here as well
Second series  and here too
Finishing Postures  yes, and there are more here

also check this site:
http://www.astangayoga.co.nz/yoga_frameset.html

What isn't helpful about cheat sheets:
1.  uh, you're cheating
2.  it is a crutch.  your practice is partly what you can remember and partly what is appropriate for your body.  
3.  practice isn't just about the postures
4.  they insinuate that there is a "perfect posture" out there that you need to attain
5.  sometimes they are inaccurate
6.  they can't tell you how to get into/out of a pose or if you are doing it correctly

Does anyone have a third series poster?  I decided I'm going to just skip the rest of second and start practicing third at home.  ;)


9 comments:

  1. awesome post! thanks for doing all the research elise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can find the third series in the book by Matthew Sweeney.

    This is my cheat sheet. :)

    His little booklet is always on the sofa next to my yoga mat. I still need it for second series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always relied on Arjunas site for info. He has all the series photographed and in PDF format.

    http://ashtangayoga.info/asana-vinyasa/pdf/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a good blog teacher :) Thanks for this, I still need them sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an awesome resource!! I'm just starting my Ashtanga Practice, and while I'm attending Mysore each day, I find that the cheat sheets can help me memorize the sequences better ;)
    Namaste

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi elise, i'm just cathcing up here. You really put out lots of useful info. Your jump-thru stuff is fantastic!

    Matthew Sweeney's book is great - the little one is good for just the postures, but the expanded one breaks down all the vinyasas as well. That is my reference for 3rd series, which I am a few poses into.

    And please come visit my blog, I've tagged you for a meme, if you don't mind the distraction from all the useful stuff you churn out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the last few ideas. I actually didn't go to the shala as planned this morning. I know how to do more than my injured self is capable of doing. I'm trying to get on the mat every morning for a few weeks, control my bandhas and do things properly, albeit very very little.

    And it's true, I'm looking forward to the yoga again rather than dreading it a bit!

    I hope that you're enjoying the pre-India heat over there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. holy c it is hot! in india it is different tho because i feel like houses are built to handle it and you can move as slow as you want and you can get a fresh coconut whenever you want...and even in india, i had a working fridge...

    ReplyDelete