Wednesday, June 18, 2008

What to pack--the list starts here

What I think I'll need, plan to pack, and possibly throw out on my upcoming trip to Mysore. Suggestions requested!

Some things are hard to find in India, some things one just does not want to go out and buy, some things are cheaper in India, some things I will eventually wean myself of...

I intend this to be a "living" list, so it will be updated regularly and will become more specific.

Some things I won't be packing but I think that most people will want to.

Some things I will pack but won't list here.

The List
Food/supplements/medicine
-Grapefruit seed extract, wormwood, charcoal These are all for preventing/treating nasty belly issues. Cannot find these there.
-Triphala, laxative For the constipated traveler. Can find these there.
-Vitamins I didn't see them but I'm sure they are available. People recommend taking probiotics. But you could also just eat curd unless you're vegan of course.
-Green veg supplements Many feel they aren't eating enough greens.

Clothing
-Footwear:
Last year I took my Chacos but even as they are open toed, I still with I had brought flip flops as one is always taking ones shoes off an on.
Flip flops But how many pairs? Is one enough? What if--
Crocs From Anonymous
-Clothing to be copied by tailor
-Yoga clothes

Toiletries
toothbrush, hairbrush, hairdryer, hair ties, razors, floss, organic tampons, etc.
Mosquito Repellent (from anonymous) Ah, this is a good point.  I didn't bring any with me and ended up getting some neem oil recommended by the ayurvdeic doctor.  It stunk and I don't hink it really worked.  I'm not sure if you can find it in the stores.  BUt I don know that you are going to have a hard time finding that perfect cruelty free eco friendly brand that you like.  Same for sunscreen.  Most sunscreens that I found in India had skin whitener in them...

Entertainment
music player, cell phone, computer, books, magazines, unfinished projects, camera

Important/logistics
identification
bank documents, number, important info
addresses, phone numbers

9 comments:

  1. I think a pair or two of Crocs are in order. They are so light and easy. I couldn't live without mine in Kerala :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo thank you... I'm in the process of packing for Mysore too (my first trip :) six months!) and your list is helpfull! I hadn't heard of Triphala or Wormwood but I'll look in to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natural bug repellant...the mosquitos nearly ate me alive, especially in the south. Jan-Feb-March.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "skin so soft" is what a mysore local swears by now that she lives there..so I brought her a few bottlew while I was there. It keeps the mossies away AND it smells good AND keeps your skin soft! oh yea..its put out by Avon~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too many chemicals in Skin So Soft :( All of Avon's products have big time chemicals. If you are doing yoga in Mysore, purifying the body, more chemicals not good.
    Anon

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmm. this is a good point. however, name a sunscreen/mosquito repellent that doesn't have chemicals in it. seriously, I need to buy some!
    i suppose for the some you could just follow dr. oz advice and eat fresh red tomatoes. Eat them all the time...;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All Terrain Herbal Armor - it is time released and sweat resistant.

    http://www.allterrainco.com/insect.html

    I never go to India or the rain forest areas of the world without it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome! now what about the sunscreen?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Same company :) High end sun protection :)

    http://www.allterrainco.com/sun.html

    ReplyDelete