Friday, June 27, 2008

Life's little lessons

Why on earth would I care whether or not my students waited for my count before moving into upward dog from chaturanga?  

I ponder this question in the fallout of the collision between the "yoga class world" and the "real world".  

You see, substitute teaching is the worst, regardless of what subject you teach.  When I explain my distaste to a doe-eyed and bushy-tailed potential sympathizer, I am always met with confusion.  I know, I know, it's just yoga.  How bad can it be?  You tell people what to do, they listen because they want to learn what you are teaching and then we all have a nice savasana and herbal tea at the end.  I admit, some days are like this.  And some days, they really aren't.

Without exhausting the subject, let's just say that substitute teaching a led ashtanga class can be a nightmare.  The worst scenario?  A one-hour lunch hour class through navasana (half primary).  Why?  The class is scheduled at this time to cater to people who work, meaning that people are in "go mode" and you can expect random drop-ins from people with little to no experience with yoga, and definitely not ashtanga.

But it is a "led" class so isn't that better than the self-led "Mysore"?  Wouldn't that be good for beginners to hear what to do?  Maybe in a perfect world.  But this is a class I'm subbing which means that regulars will expect to be led through navasana and the newbies will have no extraneous explanations of what they are supposed to do.  Good luck.

Now remember again that I am subbing, so already the students are suspicious.  Add onto that the fact that I don't fuck around.  Chatvari means chatvari.  And now we are back to the original question of why do I care and why does it matter?

This got me thinking of my Japanese sculpture teacher back in art school.  He walked up to Eric, nodded his head in approval, then raised his hand and proceeded to beat the clay bust with a mallet.  He encouraged us all to do the same with our "masterpieces".  "You want to fire this piece of shit?" He asked the girl he fondly referred to as "Miss Piggy".  Yes, he was mean.  Yes, he was right.  

Beginners are the best students.  They are totally receptive to what you have to say.  You can instantly see the changes in body and mind as they come in quick bursts of intelligence.  They are humble.  They still can laugh.

Advanced students are the best students.  They are totally receptive to what you have to say.  You can see them as they work to integrate the verbal and physical cues into their practice with the intelligence that comes with experience.  They are humble.  They remember to laugh.

It is everyone in between who is hit or miss.  They are like rebellious teenagers who know everything and will never die.  They refuse to slow down for the beginners, they insist on spying and trying what the advanced students are up to, and they firmly believe that everyone in class should have the exact same pace as their breath.

As a teacher, this means a whole lot of pulling the breaks, holding back, curfews, and the moment where you have to decide if it is worth it.  

Option 1:  Just don't look.  Convenient, less exhausting, but hard to do if you care.
Option 2:  Calling them on it.  But you have to be willing to stand your ground.  Stand your ground?  In a yoga class?  Yep.  Sometimes it means saying to a student that if they aren't here to take the class I'm teaching, they need to leave.

This sucks, feels horrible, turns my face pink, makes my ears steam, and generally is not fun.  But--it is these students who usually come back.  Afterwards, I'm exhausted and upset, they are coming up to me saying "great class!"  

Sometimes when I go in to teach class, it feels like we have stepped into an alternate universe and there are no longer people, just samskaras flying around.  Ultimately this is my practice too and the most difficult students and classes are the best teachers. 

19 comments:

  1. um i only practice up to navasana. could i just throw in kandasana in today's class, elise? HUH?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sharath said in conference about 6 weeks ago how 5th series had been a 'nightmare', then 2 weeks ago how the teaching of yoga was harder than his practicing it ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... oh, guruji taught the full led primary yesterday. ekam! ...one! ... you take! his beautiful strong voice leading without hesitation ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading this post made me remember why I admire good teachers so much. It's a tough job. Think of the mix of personalities in there that one little person is supposed to reign in and guide. Led primary sounds like a nightmare to teach. My little group has been whipped into shape by our teacher. We KNOW to wait for his count. And yes, he'll call you out with a boom if you speed ahead or slack off too much. Discipline is hard, don't beat yourself up for getting irritated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I could get through 1/2 primary in an hour with beginners in the class. It would have to be an experienced class to do that, otherwise I'd be really afraid the beginners would injure themselves. If there are beginners, we all have to slow down somewhat; that is part of the practice. Luckily, my more advanced students seem to get that. But yeah, cover can be a nightmare sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since everyone has different respiratory cycles, it strikes me as almost impossible to lead a synchronized yoga class. Therefore, it should not be a goal of either the students or the instructor.

    And yes, being a capable instructor/teacher of anything is probably one of the hardest jobs anyone could ever have. That is why there are so few teachers that remain with us (in our hearts and minds) throughout our lives.

    Try to enjoy the challenges.
    they can only make you stronger and wiser.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not knowing much about this--my whole practice so far has been Mysore style, not led-I can only imagine how tough it should be to even try to keep a compact group, with coordinated breathing.

    I liked very much your observation about how real beginners and very advanced studies are easier to teach. I would agree with that--in nearly every practice or science, the worst student is that who thinks he knows without having realized the full extent of his/her ignorance...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to hear the complete story of kicking someone out of class - it's very hard to picture - was the person being disruptive? Tell the tale!

    ReplyDelete
  9. well yes, it was me saying, "do this" and a student who refused and it came down to me saying "either you can take the class I am teaching, or you can leave". Or, someone three poses ahead of everyone else with me telling them to go back and stay with the group, their response being, "but you're supposed to stay with the breath" and my reply "sorry this isn't a mysore class, you follow me."

    Egh--hair ball.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mysore practice is one thing, you follow your own breath. Led ashtanga is another, you adapt your breath to the count. You may take 3 breaths to the teacher's 5 count (esp if it's Guruji) but you move with the count. So yes, in this context it IS a goal of the students and instructor. Bearing in mind that in a traditional pratice, this happens once a week only.

    In gym ashtanga classes, provided everyone is actually capable of keeping up (NOT a given), it is to their benefit to stick to the count - the group energy is completely other and more uplifting than in a class where everyone ignores the count and goes at their own pace. When that happens, you can almost feel the energy leaking out of the room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susananda, that was a great description of why the count is followed... I think, because traditionally one practices mysore and then one led class a week, the one led class acts as a check in. It's a nice way to moderate the breath and have someone bring you along. Your mention of the energy leaking out is SO true!! There's something so powerful about a room going at the same pace. I love it. Gym yoga. hm... that's the problem. Elise, I'm sure you're doing your best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sorry to overturn all of our notions of "good and evil" but--

    this specific class was no gym class, in fact, it tool place at one of the major ashtanga shalas in NY. Crazy right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Elise
    Yoga classes at gyms is how many of us get started on this path. Then you get interested in learning more and find the teachers at the shalas.
    Happy 4th of july.
    Arturo

    ReplyDelete
  14. for the record, I never said anything about gym classes...:)

    in fact, the gym classes I teach are really great. the students love it when I make them keep pace in chaturanga!

    it is the multi-style studios that I find can be challenging. lots of people just dropping in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh that should have been "took" not "tool" in that comment...

    ReplyDelete
  16. sorry sorry! I added to the mis-representation that this post was about gym yoga. It was easy to get thrown off with the "lunch time class"...
    my apologies to all gym yoga goers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK sorry, I'm the one that created the confusion - I think I had some of my own classes in mind when I mentioned 'gym'!

    If it's actually led ashtanga in a yoga studio, I would probably stop the class completely and explain the purpose of keeping the count in a led ashtanga class, and tell them that when we resumed, we were going to keep with the count!!! That's if it was my own class though. Covering someone else, it's hard to do that, if the other person lets them get away with it.

    ReplyDelete