Monday, June 23, 2008

Practice when sick: before and after

Before:
I got a full night's rest, did the deed, took a shower, maybe some neti, definitely some chywanaprash even though it doesn't taste so good anymore now that I'm not accustomed to being immersed in Indian flavors.  All this before heading out to practice.  I'm feeling optimistic, but sore, fatigued, tired, and heavy.  Got to keep practice light, easy, and slow today (which is what I tell myself everyday).  Plus it looks like rain.  All this makes me feel like I'm going to be a soggy wet napkin on the floor trying to fold into origami...

After:
Two steps out the front door and I realized that I had remembered the neti (I did it while on the phone with Rachel...it takes a lot of skill not to get the phone wet) but had forgotten the chywanaprash.  Was I sleeping on my walk/subway ride/walk to the shala?  I don't remember putting one foot in front of the other.  I do remember how hot it was and how humid it felt just standing outside the classroom.   Armed with a wad of toilet paper, I stepped in, rolled out my mat, informed Guy I was still a little sick "you can just to primary" he saw my face "but I guess you did come all this way..."  exactly.  It would be slow, but it would be my practice. 

Every move was carefully placed and fragile.  I had a consistent feeling that this time I might break.  I fell into the breathing which, although deep and musical, was uncomfortable at the top of the inhale.  I could feel the tingle of being uncomfortable up my chest, collarbones, neck, until it rested and broke where my gums met my bottom front teeth.  Weird.  My low back ached.  

I didn't have to modify much.  Perhaps the jumps weren't as jumpy or floaty as when I'm feeling 100%, but they were proportional to what I had in me today.  I spent much less time than usual in finishing postures and laid down cringing with a slight headache and head rush by the end.  I rolled up my mat and picked up that now soaked wad of toilet paper and remembered that original prediction.  Yes, I didn't feel much different than the soggy toilet paper in my hand, but I did make some origami.  My body does feels much better now than before.  

6 comments:

  1. If you do not use your thoughts, your memory, your emotions, your associations, your perception are you sick, well or neither?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm sorry but what is your point zee? what exactly are you trying to say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny eeyore.

    Hope you're still feeling better, Elise. I was thinking "wrung out", which can really be good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) It does not matter. Forget it.

    I wonder how did Beethoven composed while being deaf?

    ReplyDelete
  5. well obviously he knew me in one of my past lives. ;)

    ReplyDelete