Friday, June 20, 2008

Friday nap rant

I did it.  After asking myself "okay, what next?", writing out a short to-do list for the afternoon (laundry, grocery, clean dishes, wash hair, email so and so), I pulled the sheets over my head and took a sweet afternoon nap.  That groggy, delicious, fermenting kind of nap. The kind where I dream that I am dreaming and wake up in the dream and push caramels the consistency of Indonesian ginger candies into my teeth.  The kind where my eyes are covered in gravel and I wake up feeling sugary and in need of a shower and washed hair.  I roll (literally) off and down from the bed, pull my hair back, and shuffle to the kitchen to reflect on the day and eat two Indonesian ginger candies.  I don't push them into my teeth.

Practice.  I didn't notice this before, but today, the Manduka was getting in my way.  On Primary days I don't use the rug and so my skin pulled every time it made contact.  In places where I might have slid (gracefully of course), or melted, instead I clung and sometimes suddenly jerked when the skin was let loose and I was taken off guard.  In Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana, my leg wobbled as my foot mushed around the spongey surface.  I felt achy and tight.  Some days are like that.

Heard on the news of a gaggle of teenage girls have formed a pact to get pregnant.  This followed a segment on whether Americans would prefer to spend what little money they have on groceries or gas.  There was also a feature on the dismal possibilities for joining the working world, the staggering number of foreclosures (sell now and take WHATEVER price someone will give you), the obesity epidemic, and the increase of food cost/decrease in food package size.  And there's global warming.  Oh yeah, I almost forgot--we're at war.  The dollar is dropping. Our health care system is shit (it really isn't "ours", I suppose it is better to say those who have and those who have not?).  There's an election coming up (yes I'll vote Obama--the lesser of two evils--neither candidate is that great but please DO NOT vote for McCain, thanks).  And if one was so inclined to pay attention, there are still starving children in third world countries, AIDS, natural disasters, and general injustices for all.  

Maybe getting knocked up isn't such a bad idea.  You know what you'll be doing for the rest of your life, in fact, you have a very clear projection of the next 60 years or so (if one is to assume you are 15 years old and people die around age 77.2), based on the ebb and flow of your child's life and the fact that your whole existence will now be in service to it.  You don't have to worry about your social life because you won't really have the teenage stereotype, college? yeah maybe, you can definitely count on plenty of menial, low-paying jobs (without a college degree)--wait no, you'll probably get a job that doesn't pay well even with a degree--, a pile of bills and nothing else to worry about except keeping you nose to the grindstone and keeping your kids fed.  Maybe you'll be able to make your way out of the child fall-out when they are in their twenties, and the world will have sorted itself out by then.  

Anyway, at least it is a guarantee of the future.  And actually, it is a natural function of the human body... Hmm.  That's probably enough for today. 

3 comments:

  1. The mood-elevating effects of your blog have culminated today with this cheerful post. The first part - usually boring stuff, eat this and that… sleep, eat something else, again sleep, laundry etc... but the second part. OMG, such unusual power of observation… well society as a whole, in your pocket ;)

    Dear friend, you read what they want you to read. You think what they want you to think. You write about what they want you to write about… Hmmm, Do you consider yourself to be a conscious being? If so, give details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who me? Cynical? Really? :)

    To your point, you do choose what you read and how you read it. You can read this post on a superficial level and deduce that perhaps I'm just like any other consumer living the day to day. You can read it as a metaphor for the process of yoga and searching for the self. You can see the day to day as mundane and irrelevant, or you can choose to scratch below the surface. I am not one to spell things out for people. Think what you want. I never meant to disappoint, but I never aimed to please.
    Thanks for commenting zee, I'll be sure to think about it.

    ReplyDelete