Friday, August 17, 2007

Another pool day

It is Saturday, a day off, and what better thing than to take advantage of the clear skies and go to the pool at the hotel formerly known as the Southern Star. At breakfast at Tina's, Emma and I were talking about how there is something about immersing yourself in water after a night of debauchery (yogi "wild" is 3 glasses of wine max and/or staying up to 11pm) that makes you feel much better. Some might even say you feel cleansed. So today, I will baptise myself at the Southern Star and work on my tan. Amen.

Last night at India Song House was a lot of fun. It isn't far from the Shala, but I didn't know that. I "negotiated" a price with a rickshaw driver to take me on a few errands and then to India Song. When we got there I handed him the money and said, "you totally just ripped me off." He smiled and laughed and asked me to call him after so he could take me home. As if.

Around the back of the house someone had set up a beautiful tent out of rice sacks amongst the trees, orange marigolds (?) littered the grass, and over 50 students sat in a circle listening to an acoustic set by Colin and this other guy that I don't know but have seen around. After the set, we had the most delicious pasta meal. I never think to tell restaurants I'm allergic to cashews, and so proceeded to stuff my face with the aromatic pesto in front of me. Shortly after, as my tongue began to itch and swell, I realized that probably I should say something. They made me another dish that might have been even better than the first.

When it got dark, we got to preview the new documentary about Guruji's last visit to Copenhagen (pictured). It was amazing to be watching the video and then to look around the room and see many of the same faces like Lino Miele and Suzanna.

Being here amongst people who have integrated the practice of ashtanga yoga so fully into their lives has been such an incredible inspiration. Every day going to practice is like a new adventure. I feel more and more that whatever we are all doing here is really working.

I talked for a long time with the SO yesterday and might have convinced him to join me here in Mysore. I hope so! I've been looking at plane tickets with a grin slathered across my face and part of me doesn't want to go to the pool, but instead stay around here waiting to talk to him and to try to sort things out that aren't ready to be sorted out or can't be sorted out from here (like finding a sub-letter). Of course, I'll do what I can and then go to the pool. I'm learning to become the absolute master of leisure time.

Book recommendation: Eat, Pray, Love. "All the Americans read it."


2 comments:

  1. Actually Tim Miller isn't behind ashtanga.com it is Betty Lai from Mountain View, CA

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome. thanks! Someone was asking about it the other day and then someone said with confidence that it was Tim. thanks for solving the mystery!

    ReplyDelete