Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Dirty little secrets

No one takes pictures of themselves doing pasasana with their heels off the ground. Its like this dirty little secret. I think the people doing 2nd and 3rd try to move through pasasana, lest someone notice their heels hovering. Someone told me once that it takes a year to "get" pasasana. I can believe that. It is a very telling posture. You can read a lot about someones body based on their pasasana or their attempt at pasasana. Like an infectious disease, the ability to drop one's heels (or not to) does not discriminate who it may afflict. And so, here I find myself in day 3 of pasasana at AYRI in Mysore, India. Yesterday at breakfast, we were talking about getting pasasana from Sharath, and how it felt for the first time.

"It's like Sharath has approved your primary series." The guy across from me said with a huge grin plastered to his face.

I have used a western toilet my whole life, its my anatomy--my heels do not touch the floor. But I have a very flexible back! :)

Sharath helped me again today in pasasana. He let me lean on him while I got in the posture, then laughed as I rolled back in a little ball. Its all about getting your weight toward your knees and feeling like you are going to stand up. Its all about getting it.

Practicing at 5 am is really nice because you can pick a spot that you want. You can start when you're ready to. There is no talking. No chorus of "you come". It is just you and your breath. Tuesday, there was this incredible moment when the first person raised there arms over their head to begin the first sun salute of the day.

It is also nice because you get to chant the opening mantra together. Yesterday and today we chanted with Guruji, which was incredibly special. You come in, put you mat down and start practicing when ready. This is about 4:45am. Then around 5:15, you r ealize you are the only one jumping around on your mat and so you come to stand in Samastitih for opening prayer. After the prayer, everyone continues wherever they left off, and Guruji stands up on the stage staring at the hundred plus bodies performing postures that he has spent his lifetime practicing and teaching. Imagine pictures you have seen of the Virgin of Guadalupe. At times, Guruji has rays of energy shooting all around him, this is when looking at him is like staring at the sun.
Practicing at 5am is really funny because you get to see everyone post-kapotasana shuffling around like outdoor recreation time at a retirement center. As I sat drinking a coconut at the coconut stand, I saw a friend hobbling along the road. I don't have the best eyesight, but based on his hunch/waddle/shuffle I was able to deduct other like individuals and confirm that it was in fact, Colin. A girl next to me said "He looks like he's hurting!" I was thinking the exact same thing.

Back bends have been good, which everyday, really is a blessing. Not long ago, I did something that totally seized my back. I could barely move. Everyone seems to have an interesting ride at the beginning of 2nd series. Its like a kid sees a lincoln log cabin, knocks it down, and then puts it together again. This is your back.

Ha! Heels up! (see pic.)

A shout out to my homies who got new poses today (you know who you are)
And another to a lovely lady who now is the new queen of the stand up from back bends!

Here is a video of the coconut stand!




2 comments:

  1. LOL ELISE you are a crazy chicken - keep up the analogies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha! you picked up a Pete-ism: chicken.

    ReplyDelete