Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Sugar high

Jaggery. Honey. Sweets. Chocolate. Chai. Sugar. Sweet drinks. Jams. Lassi. Sweet milks. Sesame brittles. Candies. Cakes.

I met a girl on Chamundi Hill who was in Mysore studying the prevalence of type 2 diabetes in India. I'm wondering how long it would take me to get to that point and also how long it will take for yesterday's sugar fog to wear off. This morning I told myself I would think savory for breakfast. I had a fenugreek roti with spinach and tomato chutney at Tina's with a fruit salad and ginger mint tea. They also brought me honey for my tea, and like the strong yoga student that I am I said "no, thanks!" (I was probably rocking back and forth in the corner when I said it.) Miraculously, I lived. Take that sugar! I've managed to overcome the physical pressure for sugar, and also that of habit. Then next challenge: sugar peer pressure. Will I be able to withstand? Check back tomorrow...

Practice Update:
Here I am at week 3. I haven't gained any poses since I've been here, but I haven't lost any from primary either. I've heard that in the first month, they (they being Sharath and guruji) like to watch you. The second month, they like to break you. The third month, they put you back together again. Alex's version of this is: the first month, you feel fat and fart a lot, the second month you look skinny and strong. Okay. It was hard to stay focused today in practice. I was right next to the men's dressing room and so there was a constant flow of people walking around my mat. I tried not to notice people getting new poses around me and the rise of jealousy as their heels came to the ground in pasasana. For me it seems like the first month will be trying to get comfortable practicing in the space. The second will be maintaining that feeling. The third will be gone in a second.

I had back bends again with Sharath. He really finds my turned out feet in ankle grabbing very funny. I wish I knew why.

6 comments:

  1. himmm,
    I can imagine how housing decisions can drive one crazy in Mysore since I made a mess while I was there last November... I guess my vote is for option one, the room in Saraswati's house...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about Ganesh? Does he not have any info on rooms? Otherwise, Id say go with option 1 as well.

    I stayed at Jyothi's house last november (Shiva knows her) she has room to let I found them very comfortable although others may disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I asked Ganesh and he said he knew of a place in a family house for 6000 rs that was more like a studio with its own small kithen area. I asked him if it was clean and he grimaced and shrugged :)
    I'm with you guys--stay with the intention, stay close to the shala, don't make the BF worry...
    Saraswati's it is! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep. it ran from one of the shelves, over across the counter, past a bewildered tenant, over the sink, and out the window. I heard that rats can fit into a space just a half inch wide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep. it ran from one of the shelves, over across the counter, past a bewildered tenant, over the sink, and out the window. I heard that rats can fit into a space just a half inch wide.

    ReplyDelete