Saturday, August 25, 2007

Rumspringa


The Amish have this amazing tradition called, "Rumspringa". Basically, it is a time in which a young person gets to experience life outside the Amish community to decide if they really want to become Amish. I had never heard of this before, but SO and I rented a movie on it from netflix and were fascinated. What particularly intrigued me was that these kids could go completely wild, and there was absolutely no judgement at all.

In some ways, I feel like I've had my own Rumspringa here in Mysore. I mean, I'm young and getting into some really intense stuff. It feels good to have a bit of balance and even craziness once in a while. It feels good to have absolutely nothing on your to-do list. At the same time its like A Clockwork Orange (original book version), you go crazy and then one day you wake up and think, "yep, what's next?"

That said, I didn't go out last night, I cancelled our roof party, and I woke up early this morning to host a pranayama session with a couple of friend's on the roof. Sometimes you have to see what the grass is like on the other side to remind yourself why you planted the grass on your side of the fence.

Today I'm staring out the window at Rishi's Internet, hoping for a pool day, but seeing only clouds. This could possibly be day 2 of absolutely soaked just washed clothing. I'm off to the coconut stand to meet up with a few others who are hoping for a little dip and some rays.

Tomorrow its back to the led class. They've combined the 2 primary classes so that now, everyone will be slaughtering each other at 4:30 in the morning for the 5 o'clock class. at 6:15 there will be a led 2nd series. Tuesday is a moonday, and I'm not sure if that means we'll have mysore or led on Monday or Wednesday, but I hope it will be mysore. Friday's led class was painful. No electricity in my house. Getting ready in the dark at 4am. No pre-practice hot shower. Of course, there are generators at the Shala. And then, half-awake, I had the pleasure of boarding that morning's Pattabhi Express. I didn't even get a coconut after. I went home, slept, and got asked why I was so nasty all day.

2 comments:

  1. i live very close to the NY pennsylvania border where there are a lot of Amish. there is a large pond nearby on public land that a lot of the Amish kids would go to when they were taking their "rumspringa". the state actually had to close the pond to the public because those crazy Amish kids were being so wild: loud music, lots of drinking...the Amish are good fun.

    so is your blog, by the way! i am enjoying reading it. and i posted a picture on my blog a while back of me in pasanana with my heals down! i didn't realize it was such a feat! i don't have very good spinal twist though.

    hope your trip continues to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've also been enjoying reading about your time in mysore

    it seems like now you've gotten in a groove now, and are having fun there

    ReplyDelete