Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"I met a man. We made juice."

I have hilarious friends.

After Emma tells us the story of a juice stand she found in the center earlier that day, Rachel and I discussed the psychology and behavior of what we refer to as the "latin lover". A latin lover is a man whose origin is a spanish or portugese speaking country in the Americas and also in Europe. He is characterized by overt sexuality performed in an over-the-top kind of way. It is not that they are hitting on you. Its just that that is how they talk to women. Example:

Rachel was studying in South America. One of her friends placed his hand to his chest and pretended to rip out his heart. It did not end there. He then proceeded to extend the imaginary heart that he had "dislodged" to her. At this point he looked into her eyes and said, "for you". Rachel was amazed to find that when she looked down at the offer, his hand was pumping to the beat of an imaginary heart.

Priceless.

But back to yoga. I'm trying to sort out this new time thing. I've been waking up at 3:30 and thats all I can say about it. I am a zombie. The end.

I've been trying out some new drop back techniques.
1. Hands in prayer, lift chest and go. (the classic)
2. Hands at low back, lift and rock back, last second hands down. (new technique inspired by Alex. it works)
3. Hands by your shoulders like you're going "woa!", open chest like a cloud, hover and hands down. (new technique inspired by Nuno and Elissa. Sounds weird, but really delicious)

I just heard about this meditation called "one year to live". Basically you live as if you have one year to live and are going to die on day 365. I think Emma said she read a book on it, or it was her friend...Anyway, yes, this is a good thing. So what would I do today if I were to die in one year?

Other popular topics of conversation this week:
1. The prevelance of first-urine-of-the-day drinking last year. The trend spread like a wild fire.
2. The strange brown goop that many students here swear by. You stick your finger in this jar full ayurvedic dynamite and eat it. Apparetnly it makes you fly.
3. Back pain. Back pain. Back pain. Everyone has back pain. Kapotasana (pictured). Ankle grabbing.

A shout out to Alex, who has slowly overcome her 2nd series-inspired back pain and is now dropping back like a slinky down the stairs.

So tired, must nap. On roof. With sun. I thought I might multi-task and do a tan and a nap. Very productive around here.

2 comments:

  1. The book is called "A year to live" by Stephen Levine. Its a short book and totally worth it. It can change your life. Nice Kapo by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers! And thanks, but its not my kapotasana...

    ReplyDelete