Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Bandhas Bandhas Bandhas

I'm thinking about them A LOT now since the David Williams workshop. I've got to say, things have shifted. I mean, I have always known about them and went through periods where I really paid attention and periods when I didn't, but now, its just what I needed.

I especially noticed that when I do mulhabandha David Williams style in parivritta parsvokonasana, I get this crazy sensation where my root is, well, a root, and my torso is spiraling out like rose pedals from there. Amazing yoga magic! The other place I'm really feeling it is in ustrasana. It is really helpful for shifting the expansion into the upper back instead of the lower back. But really, all of my practice feels different. I feel stronger and I think I look a little stronger. Maybe.

Had a reminder of lessons past learned in back bending -- it is better when you don't think. The key is to relax, trust, and surrender.

5 comments:

  1. I love this topic. Is mula bandha, like Yoga Mala says, just the tightening the anus, or is it the subtle, mysterious engagement of the floor of the pelvis?

    Or is Guruji just teaching us a more accessible version of the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I've been thinking about it as this subtle mysterious thing to discover, but what I love about ashtanga and the indian style of teaching is how simple it is. Its not "inhale your arms to the side, stretch out through your fingertips as you sweep your heart energy overhead", its "ekam inhale". And sometimes "arms up".

    Same for this bandha explanation. it can be easy or as complicated as we choose to make it. "Control your anus" can be squeeze it, but it can also be to think about your entire digestive system.

    I vote for this method, personally. I think its easier to learn things when you KISS (keep it simple, stupid!)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I have serious trouble with a pose and voice my frustration to my teacher, he doles out one of two solutions: bundas or breath. I'm either not strong enough in my locks or I'm holding my breath. And though I want to blame other things, he's always right. The bundas are so powerful and yet so hard to remember to do for the whole practice. I'm inspired by your current efforts! Sorry for my rant comment earlier, I was annoyed. I'm from Austin and know both Russell and Mary Flinn (not well, but enough)- it's always fun to see how yoga connects people all over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops. Bandahs. bandahs, bandahs, bandahs.
    You should see how I spell other Sanskrit names.

    ReplyDelete
  5. bll- i love rants! :D
    dont you just love mary? and r and s are so sweet!

    anyway, its true, i always come up with tons of excuses but it all comes down to breathing and bandhas...

    ReplyDelete