Monday, March 17, 2008

Pincha Mayurasana

That's right. Okay now, seriously, I never thought I'd be here already! Especially not today.

This morning was one of those particular "I should not get out of bed" mornings. I trudged to practice arriving 17 minutes later than I anticipated forcing me to just not think and just practice. I was stiff and sore from practicing twice yesterday (more on that later) and so tired! But I only had a limited time before my teacher left the room for his break so I said to myself that I would really stick to the proper vinyasas and it all worked out. I just didn't have time to think. Magic vinyasas! And then there I was, thirty five minutes after I stepped onto my mat, in downward dog. "Pincha Mayurasana," I heard. There was no question he was talking to me. Everyone else had started finishing. "Really?" I said. "Can you do it?" he asked. I shrugged. I could do it (with a gentle human wall). I tried twice and tried the jump back twice. Then I took a tripod headstand to get the feel of the jump back.

I think the first time you try on the pose you just try on the pose to see what it feels like. Tomorrow I'll start noticing where I am. Maybe next week I'll actually be able to refine it a bit. But who knows?

On the jump back, I was instructed to shift my hands back to where my elbows were on the floor. I could do this either by peeling my elbows off the floor and then quickly shifting my hands back (as I fall like a cut tree). Or, I could swing my legs over my head to get momentum as they whip toward the floor allowing me to get some airtime to shift my hands. While I learned these, I couldn't really think about anything, but could only feel my teacher's hands holding my belly. Now if I can can only figure out how to use my own inner power to create that feeling...

Did I practice twice yesterday to get extra credit? Yeah right! I did my morning mysore practice, then attended a vinyasa class of a friend and potential employer so that I could get a gig. I took it pretty easy (or so I thought), but every once in a while I caught a glimpse of the rest of the class and saw that I was the only one taking the advanced variations. I haven't taken a vinyasa class in some time. I thought it was interesting and fun to make shapes and discover what my body was capable of and to enjoy the stretches and sensations of doing something new. But I also had this nagging worry about reminding myself to hold back for fear of getting injured. I just kept wondering what the point was for what we were doing and how certain the instructor was that I'd be safe doing whatever I was doing. Its a bit silly, but I think that probably I was just afraid. I didn't know what was coming next, and ashtanga really makes your body fit so that whenever you go to another type of yoga, its like you're this huge dog that doesn't know its strength. At the same time, I was surprised to see how much stronger I've become over the last few years when we were doing arm balancing, and we did eka pada sirsasana, which was interesting as we led up to it in a different way than in second series.

I know that pinch and jump back are not impossible because a few years back I dropped into a jivamukti yoga class which was full of cheap thrills including my first taste of pincha and jump back, jump into bakasana, and handstand jump back. I did it then, so I've got to be able to do it now. However, that does mean that I'll be at the dreaded karandavasana. Yipes!

5 comments:

  1. You are so dead on with the "huge dog" in the room when it comes to doing other classes as an ashtanga student. My studio stopped their Friday ashtanga class, so all the ashtangis went to the vinyasa (flow) class instead. We kicked butt. It was hilarious. While everyone struggled with stamina, arm balances, headstand, handstand, etc, we were all cruising through it and feeling a little "illegal"- if you know what I mean! Congrats on your pincha- sounds like karandavasana is in your near future! I would like to know how many women can actually come up from it. It feels impossible, and I can go down in a very strong, controlled way. I just can't fathom getting my butt back up in the air. It's the one time I'm thankful for gravity in my practice! Fortunately, as women, we're not expected to come up on our own, right? I look forward to reading your experiences with it to help my own struggles with that pose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow pincha. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, the Pincha assist helps, yet I continue to struggle. My arms move back a bit, but I cannot seem to get the lift required for the total shift. I believe there is something about propelling outta of the scorpion to get the momentum needed for the shift to occur. I think this applies to women. Men seem to be able to hop off of their forearms. My shoulders are not super strong, although they seem to have become more developed as I continue to practice second. I also don’t seem to straighten my body quickly enough during the seconds of airtime needed for the shift, gotta keep in mind that the core has to remain strong. Congrats! And your comments do help. Hmmm, Karandvasana …that seems to be all about the bhandas.

    Happy Practicing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Elise;

    New pose, great! And what a pose! Isn't it fun when you actually have to struggle with it?

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BLL- Thanks! I"m sure a few women must be able to do it, but I know that I've heard that it isn't really expected. I feel like coming down is very respectable :)

    R- Thanks!

    A- The scorpion whip thing seems pretty instense! I'm still just trying to balance:) But I think you're right, the momentum would probably help those with "less" upper body strength.

    A- Its always a struggle! ;)

    ReplyDelete