Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Live to practice or practice to live

I missed and missed practice at the shala this morning. It wasn't my fault, but was probably for the best. Spent half an hour waiting on a train platform to get there and when it was clear that the train was either not coming or I was going to be way too late, I walked home.

I haven't had coffee in years. I hadn't had a deuce since Monday. I decided that instead of farting up the shala, I'd get a coffee and take matters into my own hands. It worked. And now I get a nice practice at home with music in the background. And why not? Was today the day I'd get karandavasana? Maybe. Should that matter? Nope. Do I live to practice or practice to live?

Teaching yoga. Oh, teaching yoga. So great, so fun, so rewarding. So hard, so challenging, so annoying. Yesterday, I taught way too much, was way too tired, had a hard emotional weekend, was angrily constipated and snapped at a student. I felt and still feel horrible.

Teaching yoga is hard and it isn't just "teaching" yoga. What is it that students want and what on earth are they coming for? To sweat? To lose weight? For spiritual peace? To stretch? To do crazy shit? It could be none or all of those reasons and more and somehow as the teacher you're supposed to cater to all of this or none of this. It shouldn't matter, you should be able to teach what you feel is best for the students. But that isn't always the case. Numbers count and you've got to pay your rent. I've found that most people want a cushy, nice teacher, who will help boost their ego in a not so obvious way. Hey, I'm probably that student too to some extent, or at least have been at one point or another. Very few really want to do the real work. This isn't to say that people don't come to class with good intentions, they do. It is that it is hard to develop and things that are hard aren't always fun.

In a recent post, Steve Dwelley talks about fundamentalists in yoga and Guy responds:

"A lot of times we are confronted in life with our likes and dislikes, laziness, apathy, greed etc…. in yoga practice too! If every time as a practitioner we say: “today I dont feel like doing any forward bends, only backbends, or today I feel like breathing through my mouth” and the teacher says: “fine, whatever”, then the student will never develop a true and healthy practice.

Part of going into yoga is over coming our subjective likes and dislikes and going through a process of dissolving the ego. For this strong and consistent discipline is required. If the practice is changing daily it cannot act as a reference point for Self knowledge, if the teacher also changes his or her tune daily, he or she can also not act as such a reference point."

Some days the classes are small and the students give me angry little faces. It takes it all out of me. Other days, everything clicks and we are all better for it. I try to detach myself from these ups and downs and try to stay true to the fact that I am giving my best and always doing all I can to look out for the students. I'm human like everyone else and get attached to these fluctuations. It is hard. Its a practice.

6 comments:

  1. Hi elise,

    great post. But honest question-- can you please, please, please explain what "the work" is?
    I have tried to be dedicated to this practice for almost 5 years now and I get so disillusioned and wonder if maybe I am not doing the real "work" to sustain it all.
    I'd be really into hearing your perspective as a teacher but also as a student of one of my favorite NYC teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think that it does not matter why people come to a yoga class. The important thing they come. If they are ready inside, yoga will change them. If not, they will at least get a nice strech, a workout or a relaxation. I never found teaching to be annoying. The preparation for a class, on the other hand, is a different matter :)
    Elise, what is a deuce?

    ReplyDelete
  3. deuce=2, as in number.

    Elise - I love what Guy wrote, and it is the exact reason that I am starting to miss practicing in NYC so so so much. I do love my teacher at the CT Shala. But she tolerates a lot of the stuff that Guy is talking about in his comment...there are students there that are allowed to NEVER do Primary, even though they have never even bound in Mari D or Supta K. They don't like forward bends, so they just start on Pasasana and move on from there. It is annoying to me, not because I care what they are doing but because I don't want my OWN bad habits to influence what my teacher expects of me.

    I really really really miss that discipline of Guy's. Unfortunately, I can never get there in time to practice with him...

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, I admit I am an addicted commenter. so there. This is a really interesting post and so are the comments. I love what anon asks- about the "work". Showing up to practice for 5 years is more work than most people! Coming from a lazy bones who doesn't think too hard about what yoga is supposed to be doing for her, I have found that the answers always show up whether I ask the questions or not. In a mysore class setting, being alone with your practice and taking responsibility for it is a lesson in itself. Having the patience to work through hard postures that seem like they're never going to happen is work. Submitting to your teacher who may make you do things you REALLY don't want to do, is work. It's letting the ego go. It's knowing that when your teacher says you're not ready for something, that you're really not ready and it's going to be okay. No rush. It took me a few years of doing ashtanga to realize that it was going to be my life long practice. Once I realized that, I relaxed a little. It's nice to sink into it and let it do what it does. Elise, I'm sure you're a compassionate teacher. It's not your responsibility to be anything to anyone other than what you're able to offer. YC- I would go nuts in your shala. I like discipline, even when I'm cursing it sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. anon-
    you've called my bluff! let me think...

    alfia-
    true, but that does not always make it easy on the teacher! that's when I tell myself that that is why they really need the yoga :) Wow, you must have more patience than me! deuce = 2 = poo poo.

    yc-
    i know what you mean. it can be hard tho. there have been times where I really have been so frustrated and blamed it all on my teacher. why won't they just give me a pose or whatever?!


    bll-
    I agree, one has to look objectively at the whole picture...5 years is a lot of work and should certainly be honored!
    ...yes yes, I nodd my head ;)
    and thanks, I try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to comment BEFORE I read your next post because in my opinion the answer is so so obvious: the work is just practice. JUST PRACTICE. I really cannot imagine that any teacher (Mysore teacher) would ever say that there is anything more to do than just practice.

    ReplyDelete