Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Feeling light (everybody poops)

Spent some time kicking, floating, falling, and jumping back from pincha today. My practice is short, which is nice because I have lots of time to play! I've managed to land in chaturanga, however the hand shift is going to take some time. I was able to bend my knees on two attempts in pincha to get that "whip" effect. I'm still learning and have a long way to go.

Confession: I was super stressed out yesterday pre-practice about poop. Yes, poop. I often have a bit of a not going problem. I have myself on a very strict daily routine all catered around producing a deuce. I've pretty much given up on the pre-practice empty-out and on days when it does happen, I'm thrilled. My practice is lighter, my bandhas are stronger, and it just feels healthier. So anyway, I was pretty stressed out thinking there was no way I'd be able to do anything because I was bloated and etc. I had to not think about it and just practice.

It is interesting to me how growing up in magazines and such I've learned that a couple of times per week is normal. But now, I realize there is a difference between something being "normal" and something being "common". With the quality of food and diets here in the US, it is no wonder that every other TV ad is for a fiber supplemented product. I've been on an India-themed book reading spree, and they have all in some way made reference to the act of the daily deed. For instance, in Shantaram, the main character goes out to the river to do his doo with everyone else in the slum early in the morning. I have never been able to go on demand (obviously).

But I think that over time, yoga really gets us to pay attention to ourselves. Guruji says to "control" your anus. This implies not only your mulhabandha, but also your entire digestive system. Perhaps over time with yoga, we learn to be mindful about the crap we put into our bodies so that at the end of the day, we are able to get it out.

I love when I get really deep into practice. When I don't think about getting up to go and still end up walking through the door. It is during these times that I really am conscious about my body, thinking of my food as fuel, and forging a mind/body dialogue. I think part of it is being able to see every twenty four hours that my body is capable of much more than sitting, walking, seeing, talking, thinking, and tasting. After witnessing that, I can't help but want to do everything I can to support this amazing vessel. For all the time I've spent hating and trying to improve my body, feeling this way is such a gift. Thank you ashtanga! Thank you Guruji!

More about poop than you ever wanted to know: the Bristol Stool Scale
PS- pincha mayurasana has improved my drop backs!

PSS- David Williams says that yoga has a 24 hour expiration date.

12 comments:

  1. hey e

    i take a nutritonal supplement called OXY C that was reccomended to me by my hydrotherapist to keep things moving! There s a health food place on 3rd and Ave A that sells it. As advised by my hydrotherapist I just take two capsules before bed time and it pretty much gaurantees morning poop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, have you gotten your dosha done? It might help you determine what foods are good for you...if you're more vata, I hear it's harder for us to drop a load in the morning. It all depends on what I eat and what time the day before. Most days it's hard for me to drop the big kids off at the pool before practice, but some days I'm lucky.


    Okay, that was way too much information.
    ~Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is so funny!
    im taking triphala almost every day and am trying to be mindful about the possible and very likely over consumption of vata provoking foods. never heard of oxy c, thanks for the tip I'll look into it! Im still in a bit of denial that I have a problem :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi buddy,
    Great post. My naturopath tells me to take Triphala as well digestive enzymes with food. There are many different brands out there - you might want to give them a try.
    I have not looked at the Bristol site you referenced but my understanding is that healthy poo is 1.5 - 2 feet a day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the health food place bTW is called "high vibe", you can also check it out on thier website, but i enjoy going to the actual store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now see, this is why I like your blog, you really tell it like it is. I looked up the stool scale and was both entertained and disgusted by the chart on the side. I worked with mulit-disabled kids for a long time and we were always filling out "bm charts"- so I've had to go into great detail describing poop. You're so right about what is common and what is normal. Isn't it great that yoga does so much? I'm one of those people who got into it thinking, "oh, this'll be a good stretch for my other physical activities" and now it's something that helps me in almost every aspect of my life. Good luck with your supplements!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi elise
    your blog is funny today. i'm a three timer. but then these guar gum puddings have micronized fiber. if you're curious about ordering some, in that lengthy post i wrote on nuts! there is a link in the comment section in answer to a question from Kai, to a site of a friend, warren, who supplies it. i guarantee you that if you ate one or two little fiber puddings, you would feel full and also empty out more regularly.

    are you sure about some people only going two times a week? that would reflect a very poor diet.

    cheers, arturo

    ReplyDelete
  8. A- I'm gonna try to swing by today.

    bll- see, this is why I love reading your comments! ;)

    a- 3 timer? Wow! I've had a few days like that that weren't dehli belly inspired. They are strangely invigorating days for sure. I'd totally be into that, but am allergic to most nuts...The twice per week is totally real! Scary no? But really, think about what most people in the US eat--highly refined, processed, loaded with preservative, and low-quality foods. Add that to a lack of exercise and stress, and you have a constipated nation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi elise
    the micronized fiber is pure fiber from vegetables, not nuts. here is a link in case you want to peruse through it.
    cheers, arturo

    Warren Taylor's mixes

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi elise, it's baker's micronized cellulose. warren also offers it in a mix with guar gum that you can make instantly into a pudding with soy milk, or dairy, juices, etc. Quoting his page:

    "Any place that a natural fiber
    is useful, PM0224 is useful, such as to increase satiety, reduce appetite, improve soft bowel function, slow down gastric emptying, improve digestion, etc."

    by the way, he's a friend. i don't gain anything financially from recommending his mixes. i'm just relating my experience with the products.

    hope that's useful. his page is not ideal to read through, but if you click on some of the entries, he gives a lot of descriptions on the benefits of the stuff he carries.
    cheers, arturo

    ReplyDelete