Thursday, October 9, 2008

Mysore Note:

Don't talk yoga with yoga people. It just ends in tears.

Last night a little innocent caffeine-induced handstand session prompted a 101 on jumping by one of the "boys that fly". I think it was the language barrier that really did it because all his "you's" meaning "one" were being interpreted as "you" personally. Then statements such as "you're cheating" and "chaturanga like a man"... You (personally) and you (one) can imagine the reaction when three girls are in the audience.

I like learning something new, don't get me wrong, but the way that people sometimes talk about practice gets me miffed. Statements like "he/she has strong bandhas" are hair raising to me. I mean, I understand where people are coming from and what they are trying to say, but it still makes me cringe. I just think that a little sensitivity of word choice is important because otherwise one feels that one's efforts are being made illegitimate. All of us have sacrificed something in order to be here. Therefore, it is kind of hard hearing someone say things like "you're cheating" when you are really putting your heart into it.

All that said, practice today was stellar. I paid serious attention to my bandhas, my core, moving slowly, and really integrating every cell of my being into being totally present in every breath. It was fabulous! Thanks to the crew (even when we are yelling, we are learning).

3 comments:

  1. hmm... I was waiting for someone else to comment... not sure why.
    Well, Elise, it sounds like you didn't stay in your funk for long and had a great practice! I only talk to my yoga friends about asana, and since we all practice in such an intimate space, and we all have found great respect for each other, there's never any asana smack down. I would imagine it would be pretty annoying. Based on your incredibly advanced back bending, I don't think you have much to worry about in the "illegitimate" effort department! (good work, by the way- that's something that might never happen in my lifetime - can't even get my heels). I was kind of confused by when you wrote that it makes you cringe when certain things are said (like about strong bandhas, etc)... do you mean because it's sort of ridiculous that someone can actually know how strong another person's bandhas are? ha.
    Anyway, sorry for the long comment.
    Rock on with your bad self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making mindful word choices would also be part of ahimsa. This might be more difficult for a foreign speaker of English, though. Ah, if only English still used the thou & you of yore...it would be much easier to translate tu & usted/vous, etc.
    So you were handstanding...isn't that illegal for you at this point? I thought that was part of 3rd series :)
    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh please, it isn't all about me! comment on!
    i didnt think about it that way...but some people say stuff like "oh they have really good bandhas" and it some skinny chick that flies. That really bothers me because big fat girls can have good bandhas too and never get off the ground you know?

    shelli, i have the kool-aide in my hand and i pretend to drink, but when no one is looking, I spit it out the corner of my mouth. ;)

    ReplyDelete