Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sharpened pencils

A typical morning. The alarm goes off at 3:15 (used to be 3:30) and I probably hit snooze at least once. I roll out of bed and take a shower. I hang around for a while and then head out the door by 4:45. It is a minute ride on my scooter to the shala in the dark. I park and it is so quiet I am always convinced that people can hear me inside coming in "late" (many people begin to queue up at the gate which opens around 4:30 so the can get their favorite spot). I practice. I come home (although I like coconuts, I don't like talking with people post practice) and maybe hang out for a bit and then take a nap if I feel up for it. Then breakfast...

My blogging usually happens in that time before the nap. If it doesn't happen then (as it is now) then it usually doesn't happen at all because it is hard for me to get a moment alone around here. There are always people around and I can't help playing the host. But yesterday I was able to peel myself away from Gokulum to head over to Anand's in the center to finish my painting.

I was taking the traditional Mysore painting class with my bf while he was here in September. He finished his painting and I didn't. After he left I couldn't really picture myself sitting there without him so I took a couple of weeks off. In that span of time, there was a fallout between Anand, the painting teacher, and Santosha, the host space, and so the classes were moved to Anand's house in the city center. I know I am full of excuses but it took me two more weeks before I was able to carve out the time to go. 12-2 is just such an awkward time to have class. All that said, I made the effort and went to paint Monday and yesterday and finished my painting of baby Krishna lifting a cow over his head so he can drink some milk straight from the source. Kind of interesting subject matter now that I think about it.

Today I was so sore. Everything aching. And today was my first day of tittibhasana. It went surprisingly well. Of course, my thighs were burning but not nearly as horribly as they were when I first was learning the posture in New York. A little stronger every day.

A handful of friends and acquaintances are leaving over the weekend. I have mixed feelings about it. It is interesting being in such a transient place. It is strange not being one of the people leaving or preparing to leave. I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea that right now is my favorite time of year in New York--Autumn and that people are finding costumes and buying turkeys and listening to Christmas music in stores.

"Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly-sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address."

Hilarious.




3 comments:

  1. is there any way we can see your painting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaahahaaaaa omg why "you've got mail?" i loved AOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. a- check today's...
    a- bc they get really sentimental about fall in NY :)

    ReplyDelete