Wednesday, October 1, 2008

On food, broken body, and the learning process

One day good, two days broken. Or at least that is how it feels.

I had this idea to do a cleanse/fast to see the effects it would have on practice. Purely for science. The idea of not eating and/or food restrictions makes my palms sweat, but I thought that it might prove to be an interesting experiment. I talked my good friend, the obsessive faster, into putting together a comprehensive fast/cleanse program complete with food diaries and emergency snacks. As it turns out, some are more ambitious that others and although the structure hasn't yet materialized the motivation has. Tuesday I cut wheat and began eating raw/cleansing diet. Apparently I inspired a trend and three other friends jumped on board to various degrees.

I thought I was waiting to see the breakthrough in practice, because I didn't feel like an Olympic champion at all. My breath was shallow, my throat was parched, my bones and muscles ached. Yesterday I was unbelievably grumpy and aggressive. But then today I realized that maybe all these feelings aren't because cleansing sucks. Maybe they are happening because the cleansing is deepening the affects the practice has on the body. Come to think of it, in practice I was only thinking of practice. There was no residue from the night before. Today I noticed that I was sweating like crazy...I had this feeling that I was moving the bones around, rather than playing with puddy. Like I was rearranging the structure.

All that said, my whole body aches. People in primary or those who first start yoga go through this. They have this huge shift where their personality changes, their attitude toward food and life changes. They want to be cleaner, nicer, healthier people. Their bodies ache, burn, tighten , and transform. They look at more advanced people and think that someday the aching will stop if they could just hold on a little longer. Or maybe that nobody else aches but them. Well, here I am aching. I almost forgot how when I first started yoga, knees-chest-chin and other really basic hatha stuff left me sore for days.

And if there was even an ounce of me that felt I was working toward where I "should" be (last pose in NY--mayurasana), it has disappeared today. I am re-learning everything. Again, Sharath was coaching me through dwi pada. The thing is, my dwi pada is fine compared to some other people who are further along, however, if he sees that you aren't working your edge and that you can go further or do it "properly", he's going to wait for you to do it. I knew this when I got the pose, that it was average work, and was therefore surprised when I got yoganidrasana. If Sharath waits for you to have little breakthroughs before moving you on, this is a breakthrough that he'll wait for because he asked for it twice now and I'm trying but still not delivering.

But in the end, that is what it is about. It is about this learning process. The trying, the sweating, the dedication, the every day, the crying, all of it. So maybe I get my legs just perfect...then what? The interesting stuff happens all around that.

I got the pictures from the led second photographer this weekend. I think he really captured just that. Can you guess which one is me?


4 comments:

  1. I guess the more you travel, the more aware you become as to how long the road is... thanks for sharing. I loved your point about how beginners want to be cleaner/better/healthier. I feel that way at this stage, with my 4 months of Yoga under my belt (how tiny, isn't it?) ;) I want to be better, and really look up to all those who've had the stamina to keep this ongoing, because it is not easy... Thanks for being so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elise,
    I have had similar sensations when messing around with diet & practice, but I want to tell that it sounds like you might have been a little dehydrated. I discovered for myself that when doing any cleansing it's a good idea to drink more than the usual amount of water. You'll pee more, but you'll rid yourself of the toxins faster & have more 'juice' for your practice. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. healey did the master cleanse for ten days (lemon juice/cayenne pepper/grade b maple syrup) and the first three days he was the grumpiest person ever and then after that i just hated him, but now his poops are the cleanest ever and he feels amazing and he started binding in marichyD etc. :) also - this picture is really incredible for so many reasons: (1) it made me laugh out loud seeing you just chilling on the floor in the back, (2) it captures such a nice feeling of mysore, i love it, (3) this is so exciting that just a year ago, you and i were crowding in the foyer watching this led class, and now you are in it. ahhh! oh my dear! lots of love to you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. N-It is so crazy! Today in led class, for a split second I was like "wait a second, my head is on the floor!" (This was in prasarita padottanasana.) When I first started ashtanga, my head wasn't even close to the floor. I'd see other people and be like "no way!" A little time, dedication, and patience...

    S-Good god you sure know how to clear a room. I downloaded those Palin interviews and let's just say it was a mood killer.I was already drinking more than usual, but now I'm going to intentionally od. Thanks!

    A-Anon? Ha! I am def not ready for the master cleanse any time soon, so Healey wins. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete