Friday, April 18, 2008

Let the Magic Begin...

I'm standing in line (yes "in", not "on"--New York hasn't completely taken over yet) at the local post office. It is the first 80 degree day since last year and it is hot. Being there is a real trial in how badly you really want to mail something. To go there is to face all adversity in the name of something you believe in. Today, I believe I need to go to India--and dammit, I will stand in this godforsaken line as long as it takes with no food, water, nor ipod until I reach the window to mail this letter. Luckily, I picked a book off the coffee table at the last second before embarking upon this perilous journey.
I decided to read Eat, Pray, Love again. I read it shortly before leaving for India last year, and sitting there on the library shelf, I simply couldn't resist the cover.

Burying myself in this small bit of redemption, I read the following lines:

"Then I listened to the Guru speak in person for the first time, and her words gave me chill bumps over my whole body, even across the skin of my face. And when I heard she had an Ashram in India, I knew I must take myself there as quickly as possible." (p. 25.)

Just as the period falls on the end of the last sentence, the "next customer" sign lights up, the bell rings, I walk to the bullet-proof window, pass the letter in my hand through the slot provided and declare, "I'd like to mail this to India!"

9 comments:

  1. mmm... the Post Office. Place of practicing patience and compassion for our fellow humans. I go often for my business and I've come up with tactics to survive the annoyance that so easily wells up. What is it about the PO? I usually have to do some mindful breathing and relaxing of my muscles - especially the shoulders and the clenched fists. ha. Eat, Pray, Love... can't begin to comment cause I had to go through my PO techniques just to get through 40 pages. sorry, it was not the book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really? why?
    it isn't my favorite, but I think it is sweet. for me its like watching a cheesy chick flick just because.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a bit of a mystery how I can take some hardcore cheesy, chick flick but can't get into EPL, but... mmm... I think it's because it comes off too "here's my unedited diary when I was 20", but she's NOT in her 20s and there should have been an editor around. I'm usually into drama, but she's way too drama for me. I actually started to skim a lot of her similes- which, if you check, can go on for a full page. Couldn't take it anymore. I might try to finish the book, but I can only read about 20 pages at a time and then need to reach for some solid literature. But I have friends who love it. What do I know...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of agree with you Liz... I read the whole book, and I loved it in theory...

    Her writing to me was like, a little show off-y maybe? And I didn't connect with her that much. I felt like she wasn't being completely honest with her writing, more like she was writing what she wanted it to sound like...

    Does that make sense?

    But I did like the theory of it, and would I want to run away for a year and write a book about it? YES!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stellata- exactly!! You're so right- she was writing the way she wanted it to sound. I saw her on Oprah and thought she was funny and kind of endearing- that's why I bought the book. I figure, if it helps anyone (I'm sure a lot of people did relate and connect to her), then it's okay if I didn't like it. And yeah, I'd love to run off for a year too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha ha ha! I agree.
    but I do love how many suburban housewives NOW know what a japa mala is :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. if only she would have explained what a "weacher" is... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've also read eat pray love twice. i really enjoyed it the first time/ the second i found myself skimming it more. i like how she set up the book, with the 36 parts to each section equaling 108. it was cute for sure.

    i just started ashtanga a few months ago. been reading your blog avidly now for a while. just thought i'd say hello!

    -amanda

    ReplyDelete