Sunday, April 27, 2008

How NOT to do karandavasana and other lessons learned when going from pc to mac

I don't know that I was born a pc person.  We've had a couple of old macs in the past.  But it just turned out that I always seemed to have pcs around.  So, I got to know them well enough.  I knew the little shortcuts and some better-than-average problem solving techniques.  I feel comfortable turning on a pc, knowing that I can figure them out.  I understand their language, or at least I understand my own limitations within that language.  

I just got a mac.  Knowing how confident I am with pcs, I didn't give the conversion much thought.  It would be easy.  And it was... sort of.  We said "hi" to each other and exchanged a few simple courtesies like "where are you from", etc.  But once we tried to carry on a deeper conversation, I quickly realized that we weren't understanding each other too well.  It's kind of like speaking to someone who speaks your language, only with an accent that makes it nearly impossible to understand them when they get comfortable and begin speaking faster like they do with their friends.  

So how does this relate to yoga, and in particular, karandavasana?  Well, you see, I have an ipod and for whatever reason, they make it really difficult to transfer your library from one computer to another.  Now this is something I've always accepted.  But now that I have a new computer and I'm recycling the old one, I feel like this is completely unjust and that their must be a way.  Many failed attempts later, I've got it!  I figured it out!  Useful tool: "How to transfer itunes library to new computer".

This pc to mac transition has been challenging.  One thing after another has been like this.  But just as the ipod should be able to transfer info from one place to another--a conduit for information, if you will--the lessons from life and yoga seem to reflect the other.  I think I am saying that I'm an ipod.

Anyway--
So, just as I'm learning about and facing this new challenge of mac "usership", I am also learning about and facing this new challenge of karandavasana (or new pose) "usership".  For example, day one of mac, I couldn't figure out how to connect to the internet, flipped out, and then waited patiently for help.  Day one of karandavasana, I couldn't figure out to connect with bandha, breath, drishti, flipped over, and then waited reluctantly for help.  I feel like the ability to recognize a limitation, walk away when required, and patiently work toward a solution, are all skills and attributes learned from yoga practice and learning any new skill.  I feel like the ability to learn something new, tackle the unknown, and keep an open mind are all being cultivated when learning a new skill (such as using a mac) and from yoga practice.  

The point-
Nothing is impossible.  It might take time, but there is always a free software program out there that will give you what you need to figure it out to make it work.  But first, you kind of have to figure out what doesn't work.

How not to do karandavasana
1.  Loose your tristana (bandhas, breathing, drishti)
2.  Think
3.  Kick like a weakling, weenie
4.  Kick like a maniac
5.  Give up
6.  Cross your legs loosely
7.  Stick out your ribs when going down (although this is okay for some people--but this is my list!)
8.  Give up
9.  Stick out your ribs when coming up
10.  Give up
11.  Noodle legs
12.  Give up

No one was born doing padmasana or any other pose, for that matter, straight out of their mother.  No one was born mac or pc.  Time, patience, practice, we can all be multiple computer ipods.

9 comments:

  1. Elise, your list cracked me up so hard. Remember, there are only about a dozen women on planet earth who are coming up from karandavasana. If there are more, I need video evidence. The rib rule really made me laugh because it's something I've been trying (with no success). I try to go down in super slow mo, hugging my tight lotus to my puffed out ribs in hopes of putting my knees closer to my armpits and keeping my butt sky high. The result? I'm so tucked in at the bottom, my teacher can barely put his fingers under my ribcage to help bring me back up! So the struggle continues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, no stuck-out ribs? I thought they were the answer to every problem in intermediate...

    :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never stick out the ribs. Lift the spine up and relax the ribs back/down. Spine must move independently of ribcage!

    For example, in kapo if you relax the ribcage instead of sticking it out, you will actually be able to breathe!

    For karanda.. no tips, can get down but not up..

    susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like: Keep your lotus tight...I lose it all there. Another one you might want to add to your list.

    13. Laugh

    Perhaps it will all go better if I would stop laughing at myself while in this posture...

    Happy Practicing

    ReplyDelete
  5. L-I think you're right on the hugging in, but somehow it has to be combined with ribs back and making like a bakasana or "cat" spine. This way, you can keep your weight over your hands and your teacher can squeeze in. A little closer all the time...If you get it, you are SO required to put it on youtube!

    D-If only!

    S-you're so right. I'm working on it in kapo to ease tension in my low back as my shoulders and upper chest are getting stronger/tighter. OF course this also makes pulling the ribs back in pincha harder...

    a-i agree. 13 should be "forget to laugh", 14 should be laugh too much, 15 should be something like "be an asshole to yourself for not getting it and laughing/not laughing"...

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man, if I ever get it, you bet there will be a video- and I'll burn it and send it out to the world! ha ha!! I really don't worry too much about this pose- though I talk like I do. I work on it, of course, but there are other things I feel closer to getting and obsess on them instead. It's easier on my brain if I focus on realistic goals for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha ha!! hey! no, really, I've been working on coming up from karanda for over a year now. I'm tired. I'm more fixated on jumping high on my arms in titttibasana or doing kapotasana in less than 25 breaths!

    ReplyDelete