Thursday, April 17, 2008

Yoga Bitches (and how not to become one)

In many ways, New York City is the best place to practice yoga and not because of the teachers (though they are in abundance). Its because this place can just throw so much at you! Some days (like today) I can step back for a second and just laugh at how wound up and crazy this little world is. I suppose it is easier to put these things into perspective when it is approaching 80 degrees outside and you know that you'll be saying goodbye soon.

So, while I am here, I hope to enjoy myself, spend time with friends and family, and share what I can about yoga. Going over this list when I find myself feeling frustrated or trapped has been helpful. So, why write about it now? Because there is always a part of me that gets really frustrated and wants to just say "you know what? fuck this and fuck you." Hey, I'm only human. But the part of me that is growing more and more is the part that says, "this is why we practice, this is why this is so important".

Clip from "Yoga Inc."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBQpQyQrGMQ


Ok, so how not to become a yoga bitch. In the Satchidananda translation of the Yoga Sutras, he talks about how you should be selfish in keeping your mind at peace. Is it possible that we can overdo it? What I find interesting about the ashtanga yoga practice (in the lineage of KPJ), is that there is an emphasis on it being a householder's yoga, meaning, it is yoga for people that live in society, rather than in caves. For anyone that has been on a yoga retreat, you know how easy it is to get in the "zen" mode. When there are fewer distractions and you are immersed in an environment that emphasizes this way of life, it is easier to fall into step. Not so easy being mindful when you are stuck in traffic, when your dog pisses on the sofa, when you get the shaft at work, etc., etc. So, this yoga is for us to use to figure out how to function as happy, healthy individuals in this world, in this society, in this city.

(Admittedly, it is not easy to renounce everything and go and live in a cave and vipassana isn't a walk in the park either...)

So, the point is to become functioning citizens rather that elitist pricks, right? Is it possible? Maybe not in every situation, but I'd like to hope that yoga is putting more out there that is good rather than bad.

I think it has. I want to believe that here in the west, it is still in its beginning. We're still working on perfecting asana and the rest will come, slowly, slowly.

Recently read: Remember me? Chick lit. Cute.
Recently viewed: Lars and the Real Girl. fab!

12 comments:

  1. Barnaby used to practice at Eddie's...I used to see him there. I bought a f-yoga shirt for Mark when he was visiting the first time at Guy's. I wonder if he ever wore it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so want to go and live in a cage in Himalayas. Too tired...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post.

    I'm commenting because Alfia often makes me laugh, esp when she makes a Freudian slip and says "cage" instead of "cave." Me too, A.

    As for the rest, I guess this is a passive-aggressive way of using your blog to call some person a bitch, while pretending you're all higly "yogic" and above either making that allegation directly or being one yourself. Yeah, just read the yoga scriptures and you'll be perfect in no time.

    Don't smuggle your aggression in behind the yoga culture like this, girl. This (the denial of our own dark sides) is exactly why honest people make fun of our culture and exactly why the F-yoga campaign exists.

    Too bad for the F-yoga people you have appropriated their well founded critique of yoga phoniness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say, I am a bit hurt by your comment.

    I wasn't thinking of anyone in particular, but rather, the western yoga culture in general.

    For instance, am I so into my practice that I am pushing away friends and annoying loved ones?

    Or, how interesting it is to witness the "dark side" of the yoga industry (weacher pay, lack of health insurance, etc.), when its supposed to be all peace and love or whatever.

    I apologize if I offended anyone, as this certainly was not my intention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A little sanctimonious intellectual elitism shouldn't get you down, Elise. You're young and really quite brilliant for your years, and you should just keep doing what you do. It's gold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Or, how interesting it is to witness the "dark side" of the yoga industry (weacher pay, lack of health insurance, etc.), when its supposed to be all peace and love or whatever.

    It is only US that says it's supposed to be all peace and love. A big reason that I write is that this misconception leads us to push everything else into our shadows, disown the uncomfortable aspects, and fabricate an orientalist ("foreign") spirituality that is disconnected from the true pain and remaining shadows inside of us. This is repressive, and it's CORNY! (No wonder real people say F-yoga.)

    And it leads to not only self-repression but pushing away people who don't fit the yoga game, like annoying family members. Just like you said!

    I am not saying wallow in and accentuate the dark side, or make a blog and pour your anger, neediness, hate and fear in to it. That's not great practice either. But that stuff is real. It's us. "Yoga" is not about just not being that way, but about REALLY working that edge. Which doesn't "look" like peace and love, sometimes.

    So what I am saying is that the idea that yoga is all peace and love is kind of a lifestyle joke made up by magazines telling us to live the dream.

    YC you are as usual frothing at the mouth at the apparent sign of conflict and loving it! Sorry babe, you cute little bulldog you. Won't find it here. Nice insults though. Roooar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. um... kind of scared to comment, but just wanted to say, that I was so intrigued by what this post generated! wow! I really must have my head in the clouds because I read it, watched the video (laughed) and then thought about your upcoming trip to Mysore and how excited you must be. I didn't take it as a secret attack on anyone- and I always try to remember that a blog is just a place to put thoughts, they may not be perfect, and they may not always stay true, but they're there for the time being. I am personally repelled by the "culture" of yoga, that it is simply all peace and love and that's it. I think it can generate peace and love, but all great things come from a lot of work, sometimes hard times. That's why ashtanga is the yoga for me. I come up from kapotasana and say "fuck this yoga bullshit!", but then I keep going, and I learn from that fear and frustration. Yoga is hard. I heard a man approach my teacher once and say, "thank you, this is helping me be kinder towards my children". It seems so simple and then so complicated... how could doing a bunch of asanas help his life? but it does- and I think anyone truly practicing, struggling, pushing the edge, and not living in a cage (and I mean cage! ha!) - sees that. 0v0, interesting thoughts! Elise, I'm going to start calling my teacher "weacher". ha ha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i picked up on this post because the title caught my eye on ashtangi.net. I do like swearing, and I did really think that it was directed at one or two people in particular when a mention of NYC was made.

    Owl, as usual, is speaking some wisdom here. And Liz, I like your addition too. My own teacher is very 'anti-spa yoga' and hates the crap about 'treating ourselves' etc. We spend our whole lives being self-centered and treating ourselves. For me, the asana has taught me to just hang on in difficult times. Practicing every day no matter how hard, even crying on the mat sometimes, really helped me develop some fortitude when life off the mat gets rough. I know that if I just show up, that's 90% of the work. But I'm not sure if I'm addressing this post. The yoga facade, the buddhism facade, the catholic facade, there are fakers and bad shit everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz, I am sorry if it was my directness that made you feel afraid to comment; and Elise, please know that hurting you was not my intention and I apologize.

    This is a good discussion though. It is interesting how experienced practitioners are alienated by what feels like phony peace and love stuff. I love peace and love! Am drawn to it! But the more you practice maybe the more you know your own shadow and are sensitive to people running away from that. Like L and L describe.

    When I think of SKPJ's relationship with Krishnamacharya, I don't see a lot of blissed out Yoga Journal fluff. We should face the reality of that relationship and all the boundary-pushing discomfort it bring up.

    Westerners project a lot of stuff on to SKPJ and all of India, but I'm pretty sure the roots of SKPJ's ashtanga are in doggedly pushing your own boundaries regardless of what that looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought you'd like that, Owl. If I were as highly intellectualized as you, I would like it too. As it is, I must be content with being a small, faux ferocious bulldog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. no worries Owl- I was just a little startled by your strong reaction to what I read as a pretty tame post. I think I just didn't want to write something that sounded too defensive or like an attack. It's hard to read words and know the meaning behind them sometimes- you know what I mean! Plus, I'm sitting here in Austin, Tx oblivious to what may be going on in the NYC yoga scene. Trust me, we have our own drama here. oh boy, do we.

    ReplyDelete