Monday, April 14, 2008

Feed me!

Some days you go through your practice and everything is like clockwork, other days, it is an out of body experience. The human body is so interesting in that it is never the same, always changing, and through ashtanga practice (as we are doing the same thing everyday) one can really feel and see the difference from one day to the next.
I have noticed a change the last couple of days. I'm still dreading certain poses when they come up, but once I'm there, I notice that the panic mode turns off and I can actually get a bit deeper than I had imagined. It reminds me of being a kid how I yelled and screamed to not take a bath, but then once I got it in it was so warm and nice! In other parts of my practice, I'm noticing soreness from my body shape changing as I learn to use muscles differently. And with all these changes, primary feels very different.

Besides the shifts caused by daily practice, a woman's cycle, day of the week, and energy level, there are the shifts caused by food. Since moving from "veganism" to "vegetarianism" in October, I've noticed some changes. I can't tell if I have more energy, but I am definitely stronger than I was before, but that could be just because I've decided to challenge myself a bit more. I feel like I was lighter (pounds wise) before, but I feel more toned now.
What I have really noticed is how the timing of meals effects my practice as well as the amount of bread I eat. This weekend I went to a wedding and practice yesterday and today has suffered for it. And now that the days are longer and brighter, I don't seem to have much of an appetite and find myself eating out of habit. Bleh.
Sore wrists from all the press handstand stuff on Friday and from my extra playtime during self practice yesterday. My bf assisted me in karandavasana. That was funny.
From Ashtanga Yoga Sangha on Food and Practice:
"Diet, how and when you eat is probably the most important factor for yoga practice.
Food suggestions from the Hatha Yoga Pradipika
http://aysnyc.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=31&Itemid=165
Bitter, sour and salty tastes, unripe vegetables, fermented/rotting and oily foods, intoxicating liquors, fish, meat, yoghurt, chick peas, oil-cake, asafoetida (hinga), garlic, onion, etc., should not be eaten. Food heated again, dry, having too much salt, sour, indigestable grains, and vegetables that cause burning sensation, should not be eaten. Wheat, rice, barley, corn, milk, ghee, natural sugar, butter, honey, dried ginger, snake gourd, the five vegetables (5 leafy greens mentioned in GS), mung beans, pure water, these are very beneficial to those who practice Yoga. A yogi or yogini should eat tonics (things giving strength), well sweetened, made with ghee, milk butter, etc., which may increase humors of the body, according to his or her desire. "

4 comments:

  1. This ghee/milk/butter thing has always bugged me...I am assuming that back when these texts were written, they had not yet discovered Italy or olives. Olive oil seems so much healthier - and "lubricating" since this seems to be a popular term - than these animal products which come from the breast milk of another animal. What is so great about clarified butter except that it provides some fat in a diet which seems sufficiently devoid of good fats? Anyway, with respect to the ancient texts, I think these dietary recommendations should be taken in context.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh also: i miss practicing and analyzing the world and all things yoga with you!!! thinking of you and sending lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just thought of something else: Remember "I got fat in India!"? I was talking to a male here who said, "I always gain at least 4 kilos when I go to Mysore." And personally, I always have more energy when I eat meat/fish - perhaps getting that essential B-12?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know right? It would be great if someone would re-analyze the recommended diet for modern times. Maybe it would include olive oil...It doesn't seem very balanced though, in the ayurvedic sense the way it is now.

    me too!

    ha!

    ReplyDelete