Saturday, April 26, 2008

Spring Cleaning (From the inside-out)

I suppose it began yesterday with the combination led primary/theory talk at the shala.  I spent this morning listening to the sound recording I took of the theory q & a (I am transcribing the text).  When my eyes were blurry and I couldn't type anymore, I was stricken with this incredible urge to apply a face mask.  I feel like I can't be the only one who gets overwhelmed with the cravings of thick clay smoothed over my face.  I found this great stuff at the local grocer's called "Be Fine:  Food Skin Care".  They sell these little single serving packets of the goop in different "flavors".  I went for the "warming clay mask with arnica, cardamom, and pomegranate".  Yum!  Five minutes later, I was in a steaming shower shaving my legs thinking happily of all the cleaning and organizing I am going to do around the apartment for the rest of the day.

I really don't think I'd be at all cheerful about cleaning the apartment unless I had done that other stuff for me first.  I like to take a shower and brush my teeth and everything before I see people, practice, clean, etc.  I function best from the inside-out.  I don't think everyone is like this.  My last two boyfriends insisted on cleaning the house before they took showers, the rationale being that they became so incredibly engrossed with the tasks at hand that they somehow felt dirtier the cleaner the apartment became.  Hmm.  Neither really got into yoga.  Maybe it is a personality thing.

I've always been like this.  Growing up, I'd be even bitchier than normal for a teenage girl if someone talked to me pre-shower/toothbrush.  I don't think it was because I hadn't "put my face on" yet, because I've never really been that into makeup.  Maybe I'm a closet introvert?  I'm just glad that ashtanga allows you to shower before practice.  Smelly armpits be damned, I'd have to contain a mild freak-out if I missed my morning shower.  Maybe I'm an obvious control freak?

Well, in any case, this is my day off.  No work, no practice, no boyfriend.  I've got the apartment all to myself, and if I want to sit around and blog/shower/refine pores/transcribe yoga theory while dishes sit in the sink until the afternoon, then that is how it will be!

4 comments:

  1. I normally shower after I clean because I get super dirty when I clean the house, but I can see the beauty of starting off your day with a shower and good tooth brushin even if you're just going to be cleaning and lounging around. When do you go to India?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, if i feel like if i am gonna clean, then i am going to go hard, and some things and places in the apt. are grimy. Therefore i like to shower after i clean. Actually i like to clean first thing when i wake up, then shower, so they are both still kinda first thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mention of a mask made me grab one while shopping for groceries tonight- and I write this as my face crackles and becomes squeaky clean and crazy tight.

    ReplyDelete