Saturday, September 27, 2008

Sunday Led Second Practice

I'm still reading The Other Boleyn Girl. It never ends. It's about sisters who are rivals (because apparently sisters always are). It's about the wives of King Henry VIII and the role of women etc. It is very tedious and never ends. The gossip. The scheming. The charming. The games. This is what happens when people don't have to work either in the office or in the home. They start to work on their social stuff. Sometimes it feels like that here. All these people with all this time and lots of talking. It's like summer camp or Desperate House Wives or High School.

I'm spending more time with myself even if other people are around. I was thinking about how sometimes I feel a little hurt when I'm not invited to something or somewhere, but then realized that that is all temporary, and what I am learning to create here is something perfect. It's like Goa. Around this time of year there is a mass exodus of AYRI students to practice with Rolf in Goa. At first I was a little jealous. I wanted to go too. Everyone described it as such a paradise, how could I not? But this time around I realized that that paradise is fleeting. Maybe I go to Goa and have a fun time but then what? Will the people I meet still be my friends 20 years from now? Will the practice I have with Rolf be about me or about Rolf? I prefer to stay here. I have a teacher who I trust. I have myself. I have my family and friends and I'm here for the practice. More and more I feel like "the practice" is learning how to create a paradise within myself. This is permanent.

I'm learning how to stay focused and not get distracted by other people which is harder than it seems.

Tomorrow is Sharath's birthday. This french woman had a bunch of people sign a big card that she was giving him today after the led second class. I practiced in the same spot as last week--front and to the left. I was really shaky. I think perhaps I didn't have enough water. However, it was also really hot and humid in the room today and there was some guy taking photos (I emailed him asking for a copy). I tried a new method for dwi pada which didn't go as planned but certainly taught me much. Yoga nidrasana was fine. For back bending, I was feeling particularly "open", but I felt strong. On my second back bend, I hovered with bent arms and could see how that with some time this could be me grabbing my own ankles solo soon. I kept feeling these really happy feelings like "wow! I'm here in Mysore in led second! Wow!"

I took my time in finishing postures and woke up from resting to find that I was the only one left resting while the more advanced students were still being led by Sharath. I rolled up my mat and headed for the dressing room to change. When I came out, I stood to the side while Sharath received presents and flowers from students (the led students were still in resting but were peaking to see what was happening). I put my mat on the floor and waited for Sharath to turn toward me. When he finally did, I spread my arms gave him the "you come here" hand gesture, wrapped my arms around him and gave him a huge hug. I squeezed him and said "Happy Birthday Sharath!" All the students resting laughed and Sharath smiled.

Later at breakfast, I heard some students saying that everyone was hugging Sharath after that. I don't know, for me it just felt like what I wanted to do.

2 comments:

  1. hugging is definitely the way to do it. you're starting a hugging revolution! yay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm for hugging, too!!! Glad you did it :)

    ReplyDelete