Monday, September 8, 2008

Bad Lady

That's what Guruji (Sharath's Grandfather and living master of ashtanga yoga/director of the Ashtanga Yoga Research Institute) used to say all the time to people in class. Sometimes he meant it because you weren't doing a pose correctly, other times he was just being cute. My teacher, Mary, says that Guruji thinks that is her name. You don't hear "bad lady" anymore. So now anyone who was ever called that holds onto that moment like a treasure and those who caught the train late dream that maybe one day Guruji will teach and call them "Bad Lady" or "Bad Man" too. In a crowd of around 80 people in one batch, it means something to be pointed out, even if it is to be called out for doing something "bad". It means that Guruji noticed you.

Guruji had lots of other little sayings like "$50 dollar fine". I read somewhere that on a trip to New York, he saw all these signs for fines and he thought this was the funniest thing. So from then on in his teaching when someone did some sort of breach he'd say "$50 fine". Yesterday, I heard the words "$100 dollar fine coming from Sharath over the sound of feet hitting the ground and breathing.

Somethings are the same, but some will never be. Guruji, Sri K Pattabhi Jois is still listed as the Director of the Ashtanga Yoga Research Institute (AYRI) in Mysore, India. However, he hasn't taught a class for some time. You see, early last year he had a number of major health problems. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but word has it that he has diabetes (type 2 is quite common in India) and didn't really take care of it (he is a notorious chocolate lover). He got an infection in his foot which spread and he ended up in the hospital. I think something else happened as well and I might recall that he was in a coma or something like that. This caused the cancellation of his only US visit in 2007 to Florida. I talked with Saraswati (his teaching assistant and daughter/Sharath's mother) who said that Guruji had recently undergone bypass surgery. Well, he is old--94 I think.

So, he isn't teaching anymore. Sometimes students will see him sitting in the office or shuffling in and out doors. He doesn't talk to anyone. It is sad. It is a bit selfish, but still, I wonder what those who haven't had the chance to study intensely with Guruji have missed out on. Now his Grandson, Sharath, is the head teacher. He is in his thirties and has a family and an interesting sense of humor. I like him very much.

AYRI is no longer called AYRI, but instead KPJAYI (K Pattabhi Jois Ashtanga Yoga Institute). As they have taken the word "Research" out of the name, I wonder does this mean that they have completed their research into the benefits and effects of ashtanga yoga practice? If so, will the be publishing their findings any time soon?

Thus far, my findings include the fact that it is now day three of only second series practice and I definitely feel different from last week. My back and front side feel very open and long. I have lots of extra energy that I don't know what to do with. I feel so lucky to have limbs that can walk and move and do this stuff. Second series makes me feel intensely frustrated/angry/loving/caring/giving. I was really miffed by this guy who said some real mean things to me and I was thinking about what a jerk and hypocrite he was and then I had the thought in Surya Namaskar that even he was God and that I was going to dedicate my practice to him. I mean, even jerks are people too no?

And even people are jerks. In the shower this morning, I realized that I forgot to pay my last apartments house cleaner for a month's worth of laundry. They must think I'm such a deadbeat! I feel awful about this because one month of daily laundry service costs me 150 rs ($3.40). This amount really means something to this poor woman and I forgot. I am such a jerk! So today I have to remember to go to my old apartment and grovel so they'll give me the package from my mom that has maybe arrived even thought I refused to pay them extra for double occupancy (that's another story) and the fact that they thought I called them dogs (which I didn't--it was a misunderstanding). And pay my laundry bill. Should be fun. Humbling at the very least. This is my yoga.


4 comments:

  1. I love reading about Guruji's funny sayings... Mary tells great stories about him, doesn't she? Her quirky sense of humor is perfect for picking that stuff up and being able to tell a good story.
    I feel weird being the first to comment on the private blog! ha!
    Just think... no more of your favorite jerk: Zee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone asked:

    "I'm curious, are people that have already been authorized before the changes "grandfathered in" and allowed to teach workshops and second series? or is everyone now only allowed to teach primary?"

    Officially, before the changes, authorized teachers were only authorized to teach primary but this wasn't really enforced. But now, everyone had to sign something saying that they would abide by the rules. How they plan to enforce this is beyond me.

    These new rules are supposed to apply to everyone, however, I think that authorized teachers are allowed to teach workshops for one year, kind of like a grace period for the new rules, but after that, no more workshops.

    Certified teachers are able to teach up to whatever they have learned in Mysore and are also allowed to teach workshops.


    Liz-I know! Free at last!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But what about the hundreds of students learning 2nd series poses for years here in the states from 'authorized' teachers? Do they have to stop practicing them and go back to primary? Do they have to burn life-sized effigies of their misguided teachers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i guess they have to either stop or go to certified teachers or do home practice between certified teacher study periods or keep practicing with the teacher only suggesting rather than teaching or go to non authorized teachers...

    ReplyDelete