Thursday, September 4, 2008

How to disappear completely

Where to start? How about where it ends or where it is right now. Right now I have just consumed a delicious home cooked western-style dinner at Santosha which is a local Canadian-owned restaurant. (Yes, I do eat.) I'm using the internet at my new house which I have just helped to stock with stuff to make us all a bit happier--bowls, shower squeegees, laundry cords, etc. We're all hippie, live-off-the-land types that appreciate a good granola and so have vowed to make an honest use of this kitchen. I'm listening to a mix of Indian music and political speeches coming in from outside. These sounds are all coming from the commotion around the various makeshift temples that have been built over the last week in honor of a very special Indian festival. Apparently, Mysore goes wild this week for the Hindu deities Ganesh and his mom Parvati.

A few weeks ago a friend told me why we see little elephants representing Ganesh on all the vehicles. "You see, Ganesh stickers and statuettes are there to remove obstacles". But I digress.

So everywhere this week are images of Ganesh in all sizes--from freakishly massive to teeny tiny. I've heard that many of them are made of materials that dissolve when submerged in liquid which is an answer to the baffled image I had in my mind of thousands of techni-colored elephants floating in various bodies of water around Mysore. (Part of the festival involves throwing Ganesh in the water.)

What else? Right now I am getting over a small cold (is it?) or maybe it is just a small case of back bending fever. Either way I'm tired and achy and irritable but this will pass. Just like the time. I've already been here for some time. I've already managed to not post for quite some time. It's funny how easily each day can pass into the other. Or how everyday I'm dancing on the line between avoiding myself and looking deeply into the mirror.

I'm practicing earlier and earlier and it is getting longer and longer and hopefully I'm getting stronger and stronger. Or something like that. After at least a month here you start to notice how everyone is doing the same stuff you just did. And after this second trip I'm seeing how I've forgotten how new things were last time around. And even as much as I thought I could slide back in, there is so much that is still shocking to bear. It is much like jumping into a body of cold water. I know it is water and I know it is fricking cold, but I don't really know how to dissolve until I'm up to my neck and dunking my head.


4 comments:

  1. i'd love to see some photos of all the ganesh's floating in the river.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ganesha is not "thrown" into the water.
    He is submerged with respect. Please accord some respect since you are dealing with a god that is passionately adored throughout India.

    The ritual has a great story behind it and I will leave it to you to dig up...

    Unless you are happy with your unbelievably superficial observation which trickles down to understanding and eventually qualifies you as an expert on all things Indian...

    Trash is generally thrown out

    ReplyDelete
  3. remind me when I said I was the expert?
    the post was not about educating anyone on anything. this blog is on my experience so i'll right about it however i damn well please. thanks for the insight though.
    if you want to be constructive, perhaps you could post a link that people who would like to learn more about this event can go to for detailed information?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was gonna say. I'm an ignorant westerner, like many of the thousands pouring into Mysore to learn about yoga, sanskrit and other aspects of Indian culture.
    I'm still aspiring towards yoga which they tell me is yoga too, but I'm confused, anonymous. Is your comment, which sounds mean-spirited and highbrow to me (ignorant western man) really an example of ahimsa?

    ReplyDelete