Saturday, September 13, 2008

Sunday I'm stuck to the side of a blender.

I stormed down the block wanting to push over every parked scooter. I wanted to kick every Indian guy with tight eighties acid washed jeans in the crotch. I swung my arms into the air and yelled. I kicked up dirt and stomped on all things that would crunch. I wanted to give India a good kick in the balls. Some moments are like that. You're trying and trying and trying and India just says no and that is it. You have to give up, you have to surrender, you have to let go. And even moments like that pass and are quite comical in retrospect.

This morning was the led second series class which is supposed to begin at 6:15, but seems to really start at 6:30. I ran from the toilet to find everyone else standing on their mats listening to Sharath's announcements: conference today at 9:30am followed by tabla performance, and then "samastitihi!"

I practiced between Leecha (friend and fellow Tina's breakfast "server" [I was working at Tina's during month 1]) and Mauricio (the practice twin). I confess that I did a few pre-practice stretches. My rationale is that in New York I move a lot more than I do here and so I'm trying to level the playing field. But whatever, who cares anyway? I wore the long pants so that bakasana b was more guaranteed (I have to jump my knees to perch on my arms and balance and slippery arms make a crappy landing base). Boy could I feel my arms working in the next two postures and then came my last pose--eka pada sirsasana. I began to roll up my mat and Sharath stuck out his finger "one more". I quickly rolled out my mat once more and took the next pose--dwi pada sirsasana.

1. From down dog, jump legs into bhujapidasana position (legs crossed around arms while balancing on hands)
2. lower butt to ground
3. take legs behind head
4. take hands into a prayer position
5. breathe 5 times
6. lift butt off ground while balancing on hands
7. take 5 breaths
8. take bakasana -- crow pose
9. jump back chaturanga
10. I go back.

Off to the coco stand to meet fellow travellers to Coorg. Hoping to take a bus. Coffee and mountains here we come!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Elise!!
    I love reading about led second... the idea of that has always made me really nervous. It's like trial by fire, you either hang or you die! ha! I've always wondered about the count and if there's maybe a tiny bit of pausing before poses that seem impossible to get into in one breath (like dwi pada sirsasana)- I guess, if pressed, I could sling my legs around my neck in a speedy fashion, but it wouldn't feel as good. Is it really one breath to get them back there before slapping your hands together in prayer?
    Also: Kapo. I know you have a nice flexible back and open chest, but for those who need at least a breath to get over the shock of what's about to happen- is the count really chop chop? Is it inhale: arch back and grab all in one breath?
    Not that I'll ever be in Mysore, or ever get to the second series class... it's just curiosity!
    Thanks for writing- I'm loving it, though I'm not commenting. Well, except for this long essay.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. he counts s l o w.

    there's not time for bs but there is time to get into a pose properly--at least for me.

    however, if you're really quick getting in, you might be there for a while. I got into kapo in the exact two breaths last week and I was there for ages. he waits a bit to start the count and he counts slow because there are some people he helps.

    in other poses like karandavasana, he and saraswati walk around and give people help. you aren't expected to just hang out in karandavasana though--everyone is just lying on their bellies watching everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay- that really clears up my curiosity! I would be the one getting into Kapo on the last count. ha ha! Seems like a lot of work to go around helping everyone in Karanda. That can be an intense assist.
    I'm so glad you're having fun- thanks for the report!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you would be that brat that makes the rest of us stay there forever! i was wondering who that was (it's hard to spy when you're fighting back panic).
    yeah right? karanda on a deadline...
    thanks and thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I would for sure be the last one in Kapo... but I have to take some credit for Karanda- I would only need assistance coming back up, does that buy me some time?
    ha!
    I'm going to watch that leech video now.

    ReplyDelete