Friday, May 23, 2008

Abre tus ojos

"Too posh to push" "Staycation" Really?  Seriously--really?

This is ridiculous.  I can't speak for the whole western world, or for the whole world.  But for me, a US resident and national, I am sickened and blown away by how fucked up our lives are.  It isn't everything, of course, but there is enough of it to warrant a furrow between by brows and widening eyes.  

I watched "The Business of Being Born" yesterday.  Nothing new for a young, idealistic, tree-hugging liberal, but disconcerting all the same.  Not just the statistics either.  Merely witnessing all those squirmy and slimy babies squirting from vaginas was enough to make me cry.  Ah, the miracle of life.  My "childhood" friend is having a baby in December.  I really should be there.  I really want to tell her to see the movie.  That may be a bit selfish and "crazy, tree-hugging liberal".  How do you not come off as nuts?

And then there is the "staycation".  Just saw this clever term being used on one of the morning "news" programs.  It is a pleasant way to say that our economy is going quickly down the toilet, we have no money, we work our asses off, and now we can't even afford to utilize our god-given right to drive massive vehicles vast distances across these vast lands to start fires in forests and eat packaged meats on white bread.  So what are we supposed to do?  Pitch a tent in our backyards.  Watch more TV.  God forbid--have a conversation?  I don't know if I can handle it.  My need to consume will surely consume me.    

So what will I be up to this fabulous Memorial Weekend?  Enjoying some fabulous sales?  Giving in to the new trend of a fabulous staycation?  I'm working.  I'm practicing yoga.  I'm trying to keep the momentum going with the whole "getting my life prepared" thing for the move in July.  I'm trying to not think about what might or might not happen between me and my significant other and instead enjoy all the time we have together.  And I'll probably eat a soy dog in someones backyard.

5 comments:

  1. hi elise~
    are you moving to india for good?
    just curious as you said "my move in july"....wish i could go too!!
    namaste~
    tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. be careful about too much soy though. i've been hearing it can have a negative impact on nutrient absorption during digestion. maybe you should grill a bean patty instead (pinto, black or kidney - not soy).
    hope you have a great weekeNd!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy,

    yes/no.
    im giving up my apartment in NY and my jobs. so yes.
    but i dont have a concrete plan for the future except to go to india and see what unfolds. so no. but i kind of have some ideas...
    :)

    Dan,

    I know. I have to eat real food?

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cool! i will be reading your blog each day! and in 7 years...my husband and i will be there too :0)
    best,
    tracy~

    ReplyDelete
  5. 6. Unexplained anger and hostility toward others.


    hahaha!!!

    <3 u

    ReplyDelete