Monday, May 5, 2008

Sleep on it/creating an exit plan

I went to bed last night at 8:45pm.  That's early.  I looked at the clock and thought about how when I was a teenager, I'd still be getting ready to go out, how this was the beginning of what would be the greatest night of my life--every night.  And now I'm covering my head with a pillow, walking from room to room in our railroad apartment in my mind, thinking about what I am going to do with all this stuff.  How can I escape?  I start in the kitchen on the far end of the apartment.  

The plants.  I can give them away.

The glass jar drawer.  recycle.  

The oven mitts. They aren't mine.

The silverware/knife drawer.  Here I pause.  That's my flatware.  That was the flatware from my mom's house growing up.  I can store those.  Yes.  What about the knives?  Some of them are mine.  I can put them in a stoop sale.  No.  I pack them too.  I already have knives whey do I want to have to buy more knives?  (I think of my grandparents)  You should only have to buy knives once.

The pot and pan drawer.  That's easy.  Yard sale.  But wait, what about those two pots from college?  And the pressure cooker?  What about the salad spinner?  I love that salad spinner!

Then I get pretty upset.  How can you break up with a salad spinner?  

I have one foot here and one foot is already gone as I recall how I'll forget.  I had this journal I kept when I walked the Camino de Santiago in Spain.  I lost it sometime last year.  I was really upset, but then was able to let it go.  Now I think about how it existed but I don't panic at the fact that I can't hold it.  Will I panic over the salad spinner a year from now on a beach in Thailand?  Perhaps a little.  Will I not be able to leave?  No, that's not a problem.  I might procrastinate though.  Will I not be able to give it away.  Maybe.  No.  I have to keep the "goal" in mind.  I shouldn't really store anything.  Why?  What do I really need to save for later?

My eyes dart around the bedroom.  At all the things.  I think about the linen closet and how a tiny fraction of the contents are mine.  I feel like I signed a contract with the stuff.  I feel like I said "thank you, how generous!"  when the things arrived, and now they've buried me alive.

Where is the back door?  How can I just slip out?  I don't want to deal with any of it, I just want to leave.  I look at flights.  Can I afford to leave earlier?  Is that fair?  #$@%!

I've got a light in my chest and belly, anticipation for what's to come and a cold feeling deep in my gut--the feeling of impending doom.  And all this is happening with this other "I" smiling, laughing, compassionate, as it watches "myself" scramble around trying to figure it out.  

8 comments:

  1. Why are you getting rid of all your stuff? Can't your boyfriend keep it for you? Oh, and if you tell me what plants you have, it might turn out that I can take them off your hands...

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is a great post I can soo relate

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all good...we're having a dumpster delivered tomorrow and I can't wait to start the big purge! You'll be fine :)
    Anon 2

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a merit in light living. If I had to move tomorrow, I would probably die. So much crap in my life, I can not believe. Thank you for the post, it was like a wake up call. I need to purge, too!

    I wish you luck with your trip, Elise. I am looking forward to more Mysore musings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yc-a)moving from NY b)that would be selfish c)great! aloe plants, wandering jews, banana tree, misc weeds...

    a x 3- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elise!
    I practice with Liz (Bolsa Bonita), and she recommended this blog. Your past few posts have really resonated with me - I'm moving to another country in a few months and have been going through a lot of similar emotions. Am I running away? Am I moving forward or backward? What lies ahead?! It's an incredibly powerful and emotional experience. It's been nice to read your posts as I can relate so strongly to them right now. I'm excited for you and what lies ahead!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elise!
    I practice with Liz (Bolsa Bonita), and she recommended this blog. Your past few posts have really resonated with me - I'm moving to another country in a few months and have been going through a lot of similar emotions. Am I running away? Am I moving forward or backward? What lies ahead?! It's an incredibly powerful and emotional experience. It's been nice to read your posts as I can relate so strongly to them right now. I'm excited for you and what lies ahead!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jessica! Same for you!

    ReplyDelete