Saturday, May 3, 2008

What the--

"Wait--something is different..."  My toothbrush stops mid-tooth, mid-lather, my mouth hangs open.  "What the--?"  My eyes look around the bathroom, they look into the living room as I rise to my feet.  It might have been exactly midnight and I was reclined on the toilet lid with my feet resting on the sink, brushing away at my teeth when I was overcome with this strong feeling that something was different, something changed, something shifted, something huge happened, that someone was thinking of me.  It was that kind of feeling you get when you feel like you should call everyone you know to see if they are okay, to turn on the TV to see if the Apocalypse had begun, to cower and hide because God took the roof off your house and is watching you at just this moment.  Or maybe that your twin on the other side of the world just found out who you were.  It was like that.  It was like that part in Donnie Darko at the end where they play "Mad World" and everyone sits up in the middle of the night feeling like something big happened but they don't know what.  

Needless to say, I had quite a hard time going to sleep, my mind racing.  It seems rare to have these feelings and to be able to sustain them for so long.  Usually you have a moment (as described in the film "Reality Bites") where you kind of just stop and realize "whoa--I'm really happy right now" and then it is gone.  But this time I felt it and then time stopped and I kept feeling it and I could walk around in it.  There has got to be a name for this.

I woke up this morning with a start, feeling like I knew exactly how things would turn out.  Feeling like I am really here in this body but also have a foot in the bigger picture.  Must of been all that LSD I ate last night.  Or was is it the moon chapati?

It is so going to rain today, which absolutely sucks because I got talked into working the donation booth at the first annual "Slacro Yoga Fest", which, of course, is outside.  What is Slacro Yoga?  Well, the "slac" part is for "slack lining".  Did you catch that Yoga Journal article on Jason Magness?  Well, he's a mountain climber/yoga practitioner who decided that he should be able to do yoga on a slackline and voila!  "Yoga Slackers" were born.  The "acro" part of "slacro" is for "acro" yoga.  That dynamic partner stuff.  So basically, it is a bunch of yoga crazies in the park falling over, trying to raise money for a good cause.  And now, they'll do it in the rain.

3 comments:

  1. Did you ever figure out what felt different?

    Hope you are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. perhaps. i think i kind of felt like myself. like I went inside myself and saw that there was another voice. LIke when "I talk to myself", there is an "I" and a "myself". All of a sudden, I felt like the "I" part. I think that was what it was...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I think I know what you mean and i **LOVE** those moments... I haven't been able to make them stick, but they feel so joyful to me...

    ReplyDelete