Monday, May 26, 2008

Yoga, food, and fat

But, really this is about dealing with control issues, body issues, emotional issues, non attachment, and learning to still the mind.

A while back I was at my boyfriend's parents' house reading Self Magazine on the couch while he rummaged around in the attic.  There was this article about weight-loss (there always is) and they were discussing BMI, "ideal weight", and what they called "happy weight".  The ideal weight was what the women wanted to weigh (not always realistic), while the happy weight was what was possible and healthy for their frame, lifestyle, etc.  You can read the full description of the happy weight here.  With nothing else to do, I figured I'd do the math and weigh in on my happy weight.  

I knew I had gained about 10 pounds in India last year and had lost about 7 of them since being back in New York.  I was a bit surprised to find that my happy weight was a couple of pounds lighter than my pre-India weight, which I had found to be comfortable.  I wasn't "dieting" at all, but was eating very particularly.  Strict vegan, organic, local, and gluten-free.  Post-India, I am vegetarian and more relaxed about the gluten.  My philosophy has been that I'm eating to be strong, whereas pre-India, I was eating to feel light.

Curious about this new found "happy weight" I thought I'd give it a try and see what it felt like. I really thought I'd be really hungry and bony even though it was just a couple of pounds lighter. It took a couple of months of being very mindful of how, when, why, and what I ate, but I did it.  I felt really good!  I felt healthy, strong, beautiful, light, energetic, and who doesn't love compliments?  But then something happened and I stopped being mindful and started eating my way out of the fog.  I didn't put on a bunch of weight--maybe 1-3 pounds depending on the day--but I feel different.  

Again and again in the philosophy and theory discussions, the topic of food comes up.  It is such a basic element of existence, it is no wonder that one's habits around it are a critical piece of the "enlightenment" pie.  I don't want to be skinny or bony.  I don't want to fast and live in a cave.  But if I am very honest with myself, I can admit that I do have some "mindfulness" issues surrounding food and when I am not mindful, I sometimes end up eating food that has negative affects on my body and mind.  I know this is a sticky topic.  Am I a control freak?  Am I a skinny-obsessed ashtangi?  Is this an eating disorder?  Am I obsessing over nothing?  Or is this really even a healthy issue to be analyzing?  Maybe a little of all of it.  Who knows?  What I do know is that I have to take responsibility for my own happiness and no matter what I tell myself, the answer is not at the bottom of the peanut butter jar.  

Okay okay and bikini shopping is on the horizon.  Happy now?

Why I am interested in looking deeper at the way I eat and what I see as problematic:
1.  Binge eating
2.  Irregular eating schedule because of work
3.  Eating when not hungry or out of habit
4.  Emotional/stress eating
5.  Social eating
6.  Boredom eating
7.  Reward eating

Why these are unhelpful:
1.  I'm not dealing with what is really bothering me when I emotionally eat
2.  Ill-fitting clothing sucks
3.  Less confidence
4.  Feeling uncomfortable
5.  Being overweight isn't healthy. Not that I am, but I feel like even thinking you feel that way causes stress which isn't healthy
6.  When you feel like you're overweight, "you suffer"

How to turn this around:
1.  Less dairy.  Although I don't really eat much to begin with.  But do I really need to tax the cheese when I'm making a meal?
2.  Not making any exceptions for refined grains
3.  Avoiding packaged food
4.  Smaller portions
5.  Eating when hungry
6.  Avoid multi tasking while I eat.

Should I workout or something too?  I don't think so.  It isn't about losing weight as much as it is about not letting the eating monster take over sometimes.  

So the "goal" is to be more mindful.  How will I know it?  I'll feel it.  And maybe I'll lose the 1-3 pounds to get to the "happy weight".  Why not?

Helpful tools:

I threw "yoga" into the caloric calculator and it said that I burn 612.68 calories in one session.  If I ran instead, I'd burn only 548.67 calories.  Ha!  Take that runners!

Apparently I'm supposed to take in 1890.91 calories to maintain my current weight at  my current activity level.  But if I want to lose weight, I have to burn more calories or eat less calories.  I am already very active, so that isn't going to happen.  But again, do I really need the TV snack?  Or the second piece of toast?  And actually, I don't even know how many calories are in what I eat...

So how is this a yoga practice?  It is tapas.  It is being mindful.  It is actively moving toward understanding what is going on internally and how that can manifest externally.  It is about moving away from suffering and toward my true self.  Is my true self hungry?  What doesn my true self want to eat for lunch today?  Or is that my other self talking?

Currently reading:  "The Red Tent"

11 comments:

  1. Hi Elise
    Great post.
    Hugs,
    Arturo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there
    I loved this blog! I constantly think about the issues that you raise about eating out of habit, boredom etc etc Please let me know if you come up with any great tips for stopping this!
    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - my happy weight would not make me happy at ALL. When I weighed that much, I was chunky. At least I thought so. And my ideal weight range is a range of 30 pounds! This is really a "feel good" article, methinks.

    That said, I think you look GREAT, Elise, and if you don't feel as light as usual, just cut out something you've been doing that you know you shouldn't be...like, nibbling on cheese when cooking, or whatever it might be. For me, adding yard work to my everyday activities keeps my weight on the low side. But when there is no yard work to do (fall and winter), I have to remind myself not to nosh at night. That is my "bad thing" that puts me out of feeling "light".

    I could never do the full on CRON thing, like Arturo. But I do try to take the most nutrition out of the last possible calories.

    THAT said, I am NOT the most adjusted person when it comes to body image. Although I don't have a full-on eating disorder, I would definitely say that I lean toward the exercise-compulsive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...thanks for the great post.
    So I am 11 pounds OVER my happy weight and it makes sense cause lately I am VERY UNHAPPY!

    Guess it's time to get moving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I am 16 lbs over my happy weight. I think I should stop shoveling into my mouth everything that my eyes see. Thank you for the post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, i read this post yesterday, and to be perfectly honest with you, i was scared to death to see my "happy weight"..but i am doing one thing that scares me everyday...and so i went for it, and guess what?? i am 3 pounds over my happy weight!! so now I am Happy! cause i can lose that three pounds on a 15 mile run with no problem :0)
    thanks elise~~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, my Happy Weight is a lot more than I could ever be happy with. I weigh 12 pounds less than that easy, and I still have issues about too much chub on the backs of my arms that bunches up and looks crazy in Prasarita Padottanasana C, and a little too much padding in the saddlebag area.

    You've given me something to think about here, Elise. Maybe I'm out of my mind. 12 pounds less than my Happy Weight, so why aren't I happy? I'm dealing with some major guilt since having abandoned my vegan ways and started eating dairy here in France. I need to have less hostility toward my body and start making some more mindful choices about what I'm eating, I think.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. me too. I was vegan until India last year...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you feel guilty about it? It's so much more work being vegan in France... even vegetarian is practically unheard of.

    I did it to make my life easier but I feel ashamed of it.

    PS- I hear ya about the "girls". I don't know what I'll do with mine when I get to mayurasana.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sometimes I do feel very guilty. i still get grossed out too if I think about it too much. but it is just easier this way right now. maybe Ill go vegan again in the future. i feel so clean when I am.
    vegan in france? yikes! although, their fruits and veggies are very nice if I recall correctly.

    ReplyDelete