Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Of bird bones, bird feathers, and back bends...(mayurasana)

Sometimes there is a formula for when you get a pose.  You sense it coming, look up at the right time, know the teacher is talking to you, and you go for it--giddy, but prepared.  Other times you can't believe it is here, can't really understand why (because you weren't "Yoga Journal" perfect), but soon realize it is because your teacher thinks you're ready, and just maybe your practice looks like it is your practice--you approach the asanas knowing what you're after rather than jumping into a body of water when you know you can't swim.

Today, I was surprised when I was told to jump forward after karandavasana.  Let's be clear.  I am not coming down and up on my own.  But I am crossing on my own, I'm kicking with confidence.  I've lost the picture perfect jump back, but I'm genuinely trying (most of the time to get it back).  I really thought I'd be here until at least I could lower down by myself like a pro.  But I guess I must have looked ready, maybe I just needed a break from the pressure, maybe Guy wants to show me poses so that I'm not dumbstruck in Mysore, or maybe he saw my pretty little flying moments and thought they looked promising.  Who knows.  

When I heard him say "jump forward"  I knew the timing was spot on with my breath and I looked up like, "really?"  I knew Mayurasana was a challenging pose, but as always, I was overwhelmed with how challenging it was keeping the vinyasa and in the "correct ashtanga" hand position.  I went through the whole thing twice to remember the vinyasa and was gushing sweat.  

I have to confess.  I have maybe been sabotaging my practice just a little.  There are some places where I know I could stick to the vinyasa and maybe be stronger, but I am holding back and entertaining the thoughts and the fears and the drama because I'm scared.  I'm scared of what's coming of second series.  I'm scared that it will be revealed that I'm a phony.  That all along I've just been cheating and acting and never really that "deserving" or dedicated.  They (don't know who this refers to) will know that I'm not flexible, that I'm not strong, that I think a lot.  That I'm not good enough.  It will all be revealed.  I'm scared that I won't be able to perform day after day.  (I know it isn't a performance, but I'm being honest here, so some compassion please.)  And now, my bluff has been called.  With all this business of trying not to get a pose an acting really tired after karandavasana and all the drama before back bending and I get a new pose.  Grr.  And yay!

Video of mayurasana minus the vinyasa.  Not as hard for me:



Video of mayurasana plus vinyasa:



Again through practice I tried to think "light" when I felt "heavy", I tried to jump high and focus on mulabandha, I tried not to think in back bends (unless the thoughts were positive and encouraging), and funny enough, I felt comfortable and even in my back bends and maybe even good again.  I hope it lasts.

One last note on practice:  my arms fall asleep every now and then in supta vajrasana making bakasana incredibly "unfun", however, not impossible.  Some days I ignore it and go for it.  Other days like today I make a big show (the biggest show yet) of making faces and waving my arms about.  The pain is worse on the big show days.  Interesting.


On Food:

On the way to the shala this morning I decided that the best practice for me in terms of my attitude toward food is this:  asking myself "is this helpful?"  Every time I want to eat or feel like eating or am around food, I will try to ask myself "is this helpful?"  Inside this question are other questions like:
why do I want to eat this?
what are my motivations?
am I hungry?
does this food have a positive affect on my body and mind?
will eating this make me happy an hour or not?

Sometimes the answer will be "I am hungry, this is nourishing and will make me healthy and strong".  Sometimes the answer will be "my heart is hungry, I need to eat this, I deserve this".  And every variation in between.  

Possibly more practical would be using the model I kept back in my macrobiotic vegan days:
Is it sattvic?
Is it whole, local, organic?
 
That was all in all a very boring time in my gastronomic history.  I remember looking at my arms and feeling so frail.  I want to feel strong!

I get back after practice and throw on "The View" where they are discussing this recent study on how women would prefer to have cancer rather than be fat.  Yikes!  

No comments:

Post a Comment